Caffeine In Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would adding coffee to the bottling bucket be much different to a few coffee beans into a mash, or would it be a bit riskier? Just thinking that a) coffee cup and ingredients would have to be sanitised, and b ) coffee would have to be stirred into brew maybe risking oxidisation?

rodderz said:
Would adding coffee to the bottling bucket be much different to a few coffee beans into a mash, or would it be a bit riskier? Just thinking that a) coffee cup and ingredients would have to be sanitised, and b ) coffee would have to be stirred into brew maybe risking oxidisation?
[post="92784"][/post]​

Hey rodderz,

I reckon you should get alot more coffee aroma/flavour adding to the bottling bucket than to the mash. Anything you add pre boil and fermentation will lose much of its flavours in those two processes.

Also:
a) the fact that water used to extract the flavour is near boiling is sanitary enough as far as the beans are concerned, and if 80-90C coffee hits your clean cup/jug/bottle I'm sure there ain't gonna be much life left to infect your beer.

B) possible, but how is it different to adding dissolved priming sugar to your bottling bucket? I don't reckon its much of an issue in a stout anyway :p .

Cheers,
PJO

PJO said:
B) possible, but how is it different to adding dissolved priming sugar to your bottling bucket? I don't reckon its much of an issue in a stout anyway :p .

[post="92868"][/post]​

Damn something capitalised my b ) and turn it into emoticon B)

Whats gives?

PJO

As a follow up, I made the coffee stout, with 300g of ground coffee.

Delicious!! Nice and earthy, the coffee doesn't dominate (amazing seeing how much I added), and it had a nice buzz to it.

I recommend!

Latest posts

Back