Cacao Nibs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rallan33

Reaction score
Has anyone used cacao nibs in their stout? I’m thinking of adding them to the end of primary fermentation OR just before racking and bottling. Just not sure about the process. Any success stories out there?

cheers

Have used them albeit a long time ago.

This thread has some tips. Roasting cacao nibs

General consensus I think is to roast them first to both sterilise and bring out the flavour/aroma. However be careful not to go too far with the roasting. they can become bitter

I use them in my chocolate porter
I originally just roasted then threw them in towards the end of primary
The last few batches I've roasted then soaked them in whiskey for a few days (usually jameson) before tipping the lot into the fermenter
Making a tincture ends up with a bit more of a intense chocolate hit

I use them in my chocolate porter
I originally just roasted then threw them in towards the end of primary
The last few batches I've roasted then soaked them in whiskey for a few days (usually jameson) before tipping the lot into the fermenter
Making a tincture ends up with a bit more of a intense chocolate hit
This sounds amazing! I think I might have to do a whisky soak. That’ll add a bit of kick to the stout 👌🏼
Do you know whether the nibs can be used without roasting?

This sounds amazing! I think I might have to do a whisky soak. That’ll add a bit of kick to the stout 👌🏼
Do you know whether the nibs can be used without roasting?
I've only used them once. Out of the packet, they smell like ass and taste pretty shit. After roasting, they smell amazing and taste pretty good.
I wouldn't use them without roasting just based on that.

I've only used them once. Out of the packet, they smell like ass and taste pretty shit. After roasting, they smell amazing and taste pretty good.
I wouldn't use them without roasting just based on that.
Haha. Good enough reason for me! How many gm/L do you use to put in the beer?

I used them in a Belgian Chocolate Stout. I was very pleased with them, but I'm going to roast them next time.

Have used them albeit a long time ago.

This thread has some tips. Roasting cacao nibs

General consensus I think is to roast them first to both sterilise and bring out the flavour/aroma. However be careful not to go too far with the roasting. they can become bitter
Cheers! I think I’ll give them a light roast and then steep in some whisky to add an extra dimension.

Normally I crush them up fine and roast in the oven on paper towels. Removes a lot of oil.
then I soak them with a couple of finely chopped vanilla beans in either vodka, rum or coconut rum for a few days depending on what final flavours I need
Then the whole lot goes into the fermenter.
For a 23L brew I use 160 grams of nibs roasted for 15min at 160C
Usually soak my ice cubes in single malt whisky

Normally I crush them up fine and roast in the oven on paper towels. Removes a lot of oil.
then I soak them with a couple of finely chopped vanilla beans in either vodka, rum or coconut rum for a few days depending on what final flavours I need
Then the whole lot goes into the fermenter.
For a 23L brew I use 160 grams of nibs roasted for 15min at 160C
Usually soak my ice cubes in single malt whisky
Thanks. This sounds perfect!

What style of brew are you making, stout I guess? But what style?

Back