Cacade Mahogany Choc Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has tried this kit and what the results were like?

I've made 1 porter so far and I used the Morgan's Dark Ale kit with a tin of their liquid choc malt extract and some steeped choc grain and Safale dry yeast and it tastes really nice after just 3 weeks in the bottle

Just wondering is this Cascade kit will be a cheaper alternative that is just as good?
Or just redo the Morgans based one as I know it's a good one...

thanks,
Rich

Best way to make a porter using a kit is to get a nice clean pale kit like the Coopers Lager, then steep 450g choc malt and 50g roast barley.

Build up the required gravity with dry extract and boil the wort from the extract and grains and add hops to bitter etc as desired

Jovial Monk

Hi RichLum,

Yes, it will be a cheaper alternative.
I dont do kits any more as I am now AG however I have got a brewing mate who just recently did the cascade mahogany porter with 250 gr of dried malt and 500 gr dextrose and to me it tasted like "dark aerated owls piss".
All jokes aside, I would stick to what you are doing or JM's way is probably cheaper and for a good result.
If you choose to use the cascade then be prepared to add
"something" to it.

Cheers

I've tried the cascade porter. It was my first ever brew and it's pretty crap. Not sure whether that's the kit's fault or mine, or both.

I've drunk most of it but I'm leaving a few bottles for a few months in the vain hope that they'll get at least a little better.

I think I may have joined you in that sampling on my visit to your brewery Dicko , your a bit harsh I think

Bit more like old Armadillo piss to me , perhaps with a dash of metho

Yuck

Batz :ph34r: :blink: :ph34r:

Guys,
I have tried this kit, both "AS IS" and with other added extras and have found it to be one of the easiest and bomb proof beers out there.

As far as Porters are concerned I have found the Cascade kit to be pretty damn good.

Additionally I am kegging and leaving the porter to mature for at least 4 weeks in the kegs after fermentation. I have bottled the excess in some cases and found the bottled brew to take a lot longer to mature to a drinkable flavour.

If you like it ,do it
If you don't, try something else.

Afterall thats half the fun of brewing your own isn't it.

cheers

NRS- I never met a Beer I didn't like. :chug:

hey nrs, am a bit off topic here but what gives with the norwegien angle my old man hails from norge, spent 6 weeks there over xmas in 2000 . top shelf place that.

Ive recently put one down around 4 weeks ago. haven't tried it yet.. I just used a brew enhancer pack of 500 LME 250 dex 250 multi. I use Safale yeast as well as what PostModern said on another Web site is to chuck the yeast supplied and use something better.. As this is what causes the crappy sort of flavours in this beer in question

I heard that the yeast supplied in ALL the Cascade kits is a lager yeast. If you ferment at ale temps you'll get a foul brew, just like fermenting any lager yeast at ale temps. NRS is probably getting good results by lagering the beer in his kegs.

Back