C02 To Soda Stream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger

Reaction score
I use my adapter I made to fill soda stream bottles last night, I have two steel bottles and wanted to fill them my self, to save time and money. I machined up 2 adapters to adapted C02 bottle to the filler hose and the filler hose to soda stream bottle. After attaching the hose to the C02 bottle and the other end to the soda stream bottle, i inverted the C02 cylinder to siphon the liquid, I unscrewed the bleed valve on the soda stream bottle and opened the Co2 cylinder, and it filled in seconds. This works amazingly well I then checked using my regulator the soda stream cylinder was full and ready to use.

Stagger

Just remember with CO2 to fill by weight as even if it is half full it willshow arond the same pressure as a full cylinder, and if you over fill it the pressure will go through the roof

Hoops

It should be fine as I have the bleed line to indicate when the liquid is full but will take a weight as well, good point.

Stagger

Here is some pic's of the new adapters that i have made to fill the soda stream bottles. Also have included a pic's of the soda stream adapter for sada stream to reg.

Stagger

Stagger said:
It should be fine as I have the bleed line to indicate when the liquid is full but will take a weight as well, good point.
[post="72075"][/post]​

While I'm not sure how thick the walls are on the soda-stream bottles, a crude calculation I did a while back suggested that the bottles were only holding around 50% of their liquid capacity, would you need to bleed the cylinder on its side to fill back up to the "original" capacity?.

It is probably more of an issue for paintballers whose CO2 cylinders regularly see a lot of sun and get hot. My guess was that the "underfill" was a safety feature for the mum's and dad's who left the cylinders in the back of the family wagon.

Either way, top work with the adaptors, given the trouble I've had getting replacement cylinders lately having a home filling station would certainly be a great asset.

I guess for us home brewers 50% would be fine if you can fill it as many times as you like thats why I made the adapters. However I weighed it last night and I would say it is well over 50% the cylinder said 1.25KG full and it was 1.1KG it will do for what i need it for.

Cheers and Beers

Stagger

AFAIK If you take the tare weight of 0.92Kg and add 0.25Kg (co2) comes out at 1.17Kg. If the cylinder has stamped on the side 1.25Kg when full then that must be full weight including tare weight.

By full I mean full including the ullage of 50% meaning it's still under it's rated safety fill level.

The only reason I mention this is that I went to my local tip the other day and scored an old steel cyl, It had the Tare and Full weights stamped on the brass collar.

Adrian

Stagger said:
I use my adapter I made to fill soda stream bottles last night, I have two steel bottles and wanted to fill them my self, to save time and money. I machined up 2 adapters to adapted C02 bottle to the filler hose and the filler hose to soda stream bottle.
[post="72052"][/post]​

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the filler hose?

Would you mind posting details of the threads / pitch etc?

If I can't get my steel job swapped for an aluminium one I will probably get something similar to this made. :party:

Adrian

That's secreted machinist stuff you need to know the hand shake to get sort of information.

1/2" BSP for the soda stream bottle with the matching thread for the hose and the thread for the reg will need to be cut on a lathe; I cut all the threads apart from the 1/2" BSP.

This doesnt help too much but you need to get the parts and then cut the threads, I can do this for you if you can get it to me in Canberra. I brought the hose of E-Bay (god bless E-Bay)

Stagger

for the aluminium cylinders, the last one i had weighed 855gm full and 530gm empty, which corresponds closely to the labelled 330gm of co2.

cheers

Back