C02 Regulators - Do Overseas One Fit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 865

Reaction score
Here's a question to notch up my first post (been lurking for a few months tho! and thanks for all the quality info gleaned so far)

Do overseas purchased regulators fit on Australian Co2 bottles. Of course there are "issues" of not an Australian standards approved device etc.etc.
But if we ignore standards, has anyone actaully tried this. Picking up regualtors for half price, or upgrading to a dual stage or multi output regualtor for the same price is somewhat tempting-even if it is becasue I'm a gadget freak.

Most of the datasheets for USA stuff (sister lives in California which is handy) refers to CO2(F) connectors and CGA-320 (which I found out is .825" 14[tpi?] RH male) while MAH alluded to the Australian gas fitting as being 7/8" UNF.
See: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...indpost&p=34967

So the thread pitch is the same and there is "only" a 50thou (of an inch) difference if the measurements are accurate. Problem is that I have not actaully been able to confirm the Australian fitting on the gas bottle (my kegs are in transit and I was planning to start getting the fittings).

Of course the other option is to get a replacement header between the bottle and the guage (again MAH seemed to think that all gauges have the same 1/4" fitting).

In the worst case, I take a punt, and end up with a regulator that doesn't quite fit and I have to head over to dad's lathe and make an adaptor (especially for a sodastream/portable gas bottle).

Any thoughts/experience guys?

Hi DarrylB

Found out better information since those posts. The Australian Standard for CO2 is .860" 14 TPI RHT. So the US regs don't fit Australian cylinders. But I reckon the regulator bodies all use the same size thread, so if you had an Australian stem and nut off an old broken reg, you could screw it into a US body (although I'm not sure if all of them use RH or LH threads).

You can pick up quality regs in Australia for a pretty good price now days.

Cheers
MAH

I just got pricing from Victoria Fittings on regulators.

Single Gauge $80 (i think that was exGST)
Dual Gauge $88.

Not sure what price you're getting in the states, but $88 seems pretty good to me.

OK clearly I have not checked enough suppliers yet.. so while in the US it might be "possible" to save $30-40 it just doesn't seem to be worth the risk and hassle of getting bits from all over the place... ( I had been working on a price of $120+ for regulators in Australia)

Time for me to track down Victoria Fittings and make a few more phone calls,

Thanks for the info,
Darryl

Bought one on ebay before Christmas ...brand new single gauge Co2 regulator.

Cost me $40 including postage. :eek:

Came from Taiwan! Working well ...so far! ;)

I see the bloke is advertising again!! Language barrier/email was a bit tricky :blink:

ebay link to follow

Jimmy

That showing as "BUY IT NOW" for about $20. Thats a bargain.

From memory - can you remember what postage was - or thereabouts.

Also - did it fit the Australian fittings ?? Or did you have to use adaptors.

Cheers - Richard.

I wouldn't rush into this deal. I ordered the same regulator from the same guy and can confirm that language is a definite problem. I sent my money and still haven't received the reg yet. That was about a month ago. I've just written the money off :angry: .

Cheers
MAH

the time factor was worrying for me too ...but, after dealing with keg suppliers in the US I was ready for it to take some time.

...may have been about six weeks or more MAH !!

as for the postage ...I think it cost around $15 or $20 depending on the "option" you choose.

...It 's a standard (Australian) co2 bottle fitting ...I mean it works on my bottles and extinguishers.

like I said, so far so good

the bloke is an aquarium supplier by the look of his ebay shop

hope all that helps ;)

Thanks Jimmy and Mah.

The guy has got a 100% feedback rating and looks like he has been in business a while so maybe you might still be OK MAH. I might wait and see how you fair before I take the plunge. I just wrote $25 off from one of the Keg suppliers in the US so a bit EBAY p!**ed off at the moment. Paid with PAYPAL so maybe able to get it back somehow. I've been meaning to read the web site.

cheers - PM

I sell Brand New Dual Gauge Regs - Harris 601 for 80.00.

Postage is 10.00 express post....

GMKenterprises

I can vouch for GMK's harris regs ...I have one and they are tops!!

the Taiwan regulator is for my portable system ...don't like the idea of smashing a gauge on my good harris regulator :D

Thanks Jimmy - I think GMK just got himself a sale.

And thanks GMK for quick quote.

Cheers - Richard.

Been shopping around for a reg the last few days. Thought I'd post the results in case anyone else in Sydney is in the marklet for one.

VIC FITTINGS:

They do not have the CO2 regulator with the 2 gauges in stock at the moment.. They are 2 weeks or so for delivery and the price is $ 88.00 + gst = $96.80
They have the single gauge reg on the shelf at $ 75.00 + gst = $82.50
Delivery by Airbag to Sydney would be $ 15.00
www.vicfit.com

BOC Gases

2 gauge reg - $122.33 + GST = $134.56
4 days delivery. Order via their central number and pick up from a branch.
Call 131 262

GMK

Harris601 Dual Gauge Reg - $80 + $10 delivery.
No need for a contact. Hell find you, (only joking Ken !!)

I think GMK beats the others hands down.

Jimmy and MAH

I see what you mean about the language barrier. I emailed him via ebay and asked him to clarify the payment method. I got this response:

"you can use negative pervious paper package cash($42AUD),set in envelope,
register post mail sent to me,the most economize"

What the hell is "pervious paper package cash" Have I missed a major technological advancement in international currency transactions ???

Though he's doing way better than me cos I can't speak a word of Taiwanese !! ;)

cheers- Richard.

Plastic Man said:
Jimmy and MAH

"you can use negative pervious paper package cash($42AUD),set in envelope,
register post mail sent to me,the most economize"

What the hell is "pervious paper package cash" Have I missed a major technological advancement in international currency transactions ???

Though he's doing way better than me cos I can't speak a word of Taiwanese !! ;)

cheers- Richard.
[post="46957"][/post]​

Richard, my job often involves deciphering English written by non-native speakers. You left off one crucial word when quoting: "negative". So I reckon it becomes "non-pervious paper cash". which still could mean any number of things. Plastic money? He then talks about putting it in an envelope and sending it registered post...so it just sounds like he is saying to send cash. Australian money is printed on that sort of plastic paper right? So just possibly that is what he means. You could email him back to confirm. Say "Do you mean ...." Just use standard words that can be plugged into a bilingual dictionary, no slang or idioms, and short sentences, and he will be able to understand anything you say to him. Once you get him giving yes/no answers to your confirmatory emails, you should be fine.

hope this helps.

Steve

I think I deleted my correspondence emails with the Taiwanese regulator guy (TRG) ... But, Steve is spot on with his suggestion! I kept on emailing TRG yes/no confirmation type questions ...e.g. Do you want me to send $40 Australian dollars?

It took a few emails ...worth the effort though! :chug:

Thanks guys makes sense.

Reminds me of playing around with Babel Fish. Get a funny statement translated to say French, translate that from French into German, go again into Spainish and then back into English. The results are often pretty funny

So guys could some one tell me the advantage of a 2 guage reg to a single guage reg

sintax

Dual gauge

One gauge reads the pouring pressure.
Other Gauge reads how much is left in the CO2 Gas Bottle.

Latest posts

Back