C02 Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
seem to be going through a bit of Co2 recently so was just wondering how long should a 2.6kg bottle last for carbonating and dispensing my beer at about 90kpa with three taps,although it only cost's $20 for a refill and i don't write down when i get my refill's i don't really know allthough its dropped on the gas regulator a bit and i've only had three kegs hooked up 1 is almost empty,the other one 2/3rds empty and 1/2 empty so how many more kegs should i be able to get out of my bottle,i've also tried to look for leaks but can't find any and its not far off on going into the red zone on the regulator(micromatic) so basically whats the average amount of kegs you should be getting carbonated and served at 90kpa approx.

... allthough its dropped on the gas regulator a bit

Can you please elaborate o what 'a bit' is ? Have you actually emptied the bottle ?

Did you know that the high pressure guage is not a contents guage ? The CO2 is liquid in the bottle and 'boils off' as gas is drawn from the cylinder - hence the pressure in the bottle stays constant while ever there is liquid CO2 present. When all the liquid is gone, then there is only gas left and the pressure goes down very quickly until it reaches atmospheric pressure.

While there is still liquid present the guague will vry slightly due to changes in temperature.

HTH

The best way to measure how much is left in your bottle is to weigh it and minus the gross weight/cylinder weight.

Can you please elaborate o what 'a bit' is ? Have you actually emptied the bottle ?

Did you know that the high pressure guage is not a contents guage ? The CO2 is liquid in the bottle and 'boils off' as gas is drawn from the cylinder - hence the pressure in the bottle stays constant while ever there is liquid CO2 present. When all the liquid is gone, then there is only gas left and the pressure goes down very quickly until it reaches atmospheric pressure.

While there is still liquid present the guague will vry slightly due to changes in temperature.

HTH

well its reading just below 4000kpa on the guage if that helps

cheers for the replies but do we have an approx number for keg's carbonated and dispensed depending on your carbonation/serving pressure??? for a 2.6kg bottle on average for people out there that take notice of this stuff :unsure:

cheers for the replies but do we have an approx number for keg's carbonated and dispensed depending on your carbonation/serving pressure??? for a 2.6kg bottle on average for people out there that take notice of this stuff :unsure:

I get at least 8 kegs off a 2.3kg bottle - serving pressure is 50-75 and I force carb (no CO2 for transfering/filtering). My kegs are filled 16-17L usually.

I reckon I can get 10.

Allowing zero losses

Carb and Dispense 21.2 kegs
or Carb only 30.1 kegs
or Dispense only 72.2 kegs

There is a calc on my website, qldkev.net go under homebrew, calculators, co2.

I've measured it over a few years and since I don't use co2 to filter etc I get pretty close.

QldKev

cheers Nick JD and Qldkev hopefully looks like i should get a few more kegs out of my bottle as long as i get 6-10 in total thats good enough for me,best go pour another then :beer:

cheers Nick JD and Qldkev hopefully looks like i should get a few more kegs out of my bottle as long as i get 6-10 in total thats good enough for me,best go pour another then :beer:

better go pour 3, one for us too :lol:

Back