C.u.b. Brewery Tour.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Has anyone on this board done the CUB brewery tour here in Melbourne? From my understanding the tour last for 1hr and there is free beer at the end :wacko:

The bummer thing about this tour is that it must be during Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, which practically means that I have to take a sickie to do this, and I need to know whether or not its worth it. :huh:

P.S. If I do end up going should I tell off the Master Brewer for making that terrible Empire lager crap ;)

I would love to know too... same position as you Barney, would have to take a sickie....

and definately give the master brewer a serve for that "Empire lager crap"... i couldn't agree more!! can't understand why they would have wasted such a big adverising budget on it... it sucks!!

In year 12 chemistry I went on a tour to a sewerage treatment plant.

:D

Hi BarneyG
Recently went on the CUB brewery tour in Brisbane. Have to say I was very disappointed, as the brewery was not opperating at the time, apparently they work 10 days on 4 days off dependent on the stockpile of beer. Also the only section of the brewery we saw was the bottling section, everywhere else is off limits.
The bloke that ran the tour gave the speel in a very proffesional manner but unfortunately when it came to question time he knew less about the brewing process and ingredients than I did.He seemed to think that the yeast they used was a bottom fermenting ale yeast and was fermented at 18c.
True you do get a few brews at the end of the tour, but I think I would rather spend my fifteen bucks on a six pack of MSB.
Regards
Andrew

Hey Andrew, I suspected that would be the case when it comes to CUB. :blink:

I just thought it could be something good to do on a day off, I imagined it to be like the episode on the Simpsons where Homer and Barney visit the Duff Brewery only to discover that all the duff beer's come out the same pipe, he he he he. :p

I cant tell the difference between crown/foster's/empire or Melbourne Bitter/VB.

I would love to meet the Master Brewer, and drill him about some of the rubbish that's coming out of the Brewery.

I used to live in Chippendale (behind the CUB Broadway brewery in Sydney) and the brewery used to do a PR thing for local residents every 12-18 months where they would give us a tour of the joint and then put on beers and finger food afterwards.
They don't do brewery tours there, so on these nights they actually had the guys that knew the place backwards and all the details. Used to be a great night ( I did 2 or 3 tours).
Unfortunately I wasn't into brewing at the time, but if you can get a tour like that then it is worth it.

Having said that, a couple of years ago I did the brewery tour of CUB at Yatala and while the brewery is very impressive the tour guide was just that, a guide around the joint with no real specifics at all. Worth it to see the scale of the operation, but for brewing facts useless.

The best tour I've done is the Malt Shovel. I've done it twice and again as they don't do tours, when they show you through it is done by the brewers, so they know everything you want to know. So you wait until they have had a couple of beers before asking the real specifics :) .I'd tour the MS any time I'd get the chance specifically for that reason.

For a historic beer tour the best I've done is Speights in Dunedin (bottom of the South Island) of New Zealand. They have restored and are again using big old Kauri wood gyles for fermenting. It is an awesome place and tour. IMO it beats the Guiness Brewery tour in Dublin.

Beers,
Doc

toured cascade a few years ago and they showed you areound quite a bit. saw the brew kettles and fermenting vesseles. it was a while before i got into homebrewing so i didnt know what to ask and they did have some samples at the end. pretty fun but i wouldnt pay for it again.
joe

I once did the CUB tour in abbotsford. I ended up feeling sorry for our guide, as she had myself (an amateur brewer) and several international tourists who it turns out worked at breweries in the tour.
One of the english tourists asked "what do you call the liquid after it comes off the grain?" to which the reply, in a slighty concecending tone was "we call it _water_". Unfortunatly, it was fairly typical of the tour.
We got 3 'free' beers at the end.
spend yuur money on a 6 pack instead.

Cheers Danbeer, I'll take your advice and spend the money on some more HB stuff ;)

Doc I'm very jealous, if I get to NZ I'll definately go and visit that brewery, but for the time being I'll see if the MS brewery here in Melbourne does tours. B)

Back