Byo Magazine - Mistakes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
There is a thread going about BYO magazine, which I subscribe to and enjoy. But there is one thing that really annoys me about this mag and that's the simple mistakes that make it into print.

In the latest edition there is a glaringly obvious mistake in the article on Scottish Ales. They give the range of OG and IBUs for the 60/-, 70/- and 80/- as 1.030-1.050 OG and the IBUs as 29-35. The actual range according to BJCP guideines is 10-30.

I say the mistake is glaringly obvious because a Scottish is supposed to have low bittering. Can you imagine making a beer at the bottom of these ranges, OG 1.030 and 29 IBUs. That would be very bitter and completely out of balance. What makes it even worse is the mistake appears twice!

This is not an isolated example of stupid mistakes making it into print. One edition gave the wrong instructions for wiring a Johnson control :eek: .

BYO just needs to be more professional in their proof reading.

Cheers
MAH

This is a good point MAH.
Just about every issue in the Letters section has a Retraction/Correction article or two.
Sometimes it is obvious stupid stuff, other times they are more substancial. If I was going to do one of their projects I'd wait until the next issue arrived and got any updates/corrections first :p

Beers,
Doc

Back