BYO.com Coopers sparking ale clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dementedchook

Reaction score
I've got a mate who rates this as one of his favorite beers. Givien he's just done his first kit home brew I'm wondering if I can point him to this as a good copy. I'll probably have a go anyway, do a half size batch, leaving out the irish moss, but has anyone had a crack at it?

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/99-english-bitter-a-pale-ale/505-coopers-sparkling-ale-clone

Coopers Sparkling Ale clone

5 gallons, extract with grains; OG = 1.050; FG = 1.006; IBUs = 25
Ingredients
  • 6 lbs. Coopers light unhopped malt extract
  • 0.50 lb. crystal malt (60° Lovibond)
  • 1 lb. Belgian candie sugar (white)
  • 4.75 AAUs Pride of Ringwood pellet hops (1/3 oz. at 9.5% alpha acid
  • 4.75 AAUs Pride of Ringwood pellet hops (1/2 oz. at 9.5% alpha acid
  • 4.75 AAUs Pride of Ringwood pellet hops (1/2 oz. of 9.5% alpha acid)
  • 1 tsp. Irish moss
  • 1 cup corn sugar to prime
  • Yeast culture from two bottles of sparkling ale or Coopers Homebrew Yeast or YeastLabs A01 (Coopers Ale Yeast)
  • 7/8 to 1 cup corn sugar to prime
Step by Step
Steep specialty grains in 3 gallons of water at 150° F for 45
minutes. Remove grains and add malt syrup. Bring to boil for 30 minutes.
Add 0.33 oz. Pride of Ringwood pellet hops. Boil 30 minutes, then add
candi sugar and Irish moss.
Boil for 15 minutes and add 0.50 oz. Pride of Ringwood hops. Boil
for 13 minutes and add remaining hops. Boil for two more minutes and
remove from heat.
Cool to about 70° F and transfer to fermenting vessel with yeast.
Ferment at 64° to 70° F until complete (about 7 to 10 days), then
transfer to a secondary vessel or rack into bottles or keg with corn
sugar.
All-grain version:
Omit extract and mash 7.5 lbs. Schooner or Harrington two-row pale
malt with crystal malt in 8.5 quarts of water to get a single-infusion
mash temperature of 150° F for 45 minutes.
Sparge with hot water (170° F or more) to get 5.5 gallons of wort.
Then bring to boil and use the above hopping and fermentation schedule.

Theres no time on the hop additions.......it's a great gardening beer.

Chunkious said:
Theres no time on the hop additions.......it's a great gardening beer.
You obviously didn't read the recipe

Bring to boil for 30 minutes.
Add 0.33 oz. Pride of Ringwood pellet hops. Boil 30 minutes, then add
candi sugar and Irish moss.

Boil for 15 minutes and add 0.50 oz. Pride of Ringwood hops. Boil
for 13 minutes and add remaining hops. Boil for two more minutes and
remove from heat.

AndrewQld has a Sparkling Ale clone in the RecipeDB too, I think.

BC, you could look at changing a couple of things.....e.g. If you wanted to save a few $$$, rather than buying 2 cans of Coopers LME to get 2.7kg (and have 300gm left over) , you could switch to 2kg of any light DME, and buying it in a 5kg bag will lower the unit cost and you'll have plenty left over for your next brew.

Also, the recipe talks about a 3 gallon (11 litre) volume for steeping the grain. It doesn't seem to mention when to top up to 5 gallons (19l), but I assume it's post boil, i.e. in the fermenter. If this is the case, another option is to not add all your malt to the 11 litres prior to the boil....just add enough to bring your boil gravity up to ~1040...which in 11 litres would be around 1.3kg of LME or 1kg of DME. This will give you better hop utilisation than using all the malt up front, and also keep the end colour of your beer lighter....dumping all the extract in pre-boil will darken your wort as the heat caramelises the sugars. It's called the "late extract addition" method, which seems to have become much more popular in the last 5 years or so with extract brewers (it looks like that recipe is from 2001?). If you're doing a full volume boil with no top up then of course ignore this step and add all your malt pre-boil.

I think from other recipes I've read for CSA that only a 60 min addition of Pride would be enough. Other than that, probably will come out ok. Needs to finish dry with about 40 IBU at 5.8% alc.

Let the yeast do the talking.

Have a google on this site. There were some threads that included All grain recipes that were very close. Just adjust for extract.

Thanks guys, I was going to have a dig through the database, but given it's been down recently I've been throwing the net wider.
And now i've googled "andrewqld sparking ale" for this site I found the recipieDB thread. Guess I've got another one on my to brew list (which is starting to look a bit too long!). Just got culture up the yeast from the 6 pack I bought, such a terrible sacrifice that one :lol:

Suppose it's worth asking, has tried the one listed on the coopers web site?
Ingredients

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt
500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
300g Dextrose/Sucrose

Method

Place the Coopers Light Dry Malt into a sanitised, drained fermenter, add 2 litres of hot water.
Immediately pick the fermenter up and swirl the contents until dissolved (approx 15 secs) - this method minimises lumps.
Mix the balance of ingredients with a spoon until dissolved.
Top up to the 20 litre mark, stir and check the brew’s temperature.
Add 3 litres of hot or cold water (from the fridge if necessary) to achieve a temperature close 21C.
Sprinkle the kit yeast or stir in the commercial yeast culture then seal. Look in Talk Brewing for a guide on growing our commercial yeast

Latest posts

Back