Buying RO water - North Perth - Suggestions ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All

I am planning on doing my first brew tomorrow and i am waiting for my RO filter setup to arrive. I will need to purchase some RO water and i wanted to ask if there is anything i need to look out for when i go to buy it from the supermarket. Is it a certain type ? Any advice/suggestions is appreciated as always !

Buy distilled or demineralised, not sure supermarkets sell RO as such. You can get RO from penguin outlets at service stations but I and some others have had dodgy batches from these machines. Use demineralised and change your base water in your brewing software to zero tds [emoji106]

Hi Darren, I used to use filtered water form my under sink 2 canister set up, but after looking at the local water analysis, decided to use water straight out of the tap and don't detect any taste differences, maybe a bit better foam/head retention. Not sure of your area, but I am in Bayswater that draws water from the Yokine water supply. According to someone from the water authority I spoke to, Chloramine is only used in the supply going into the Kalgoorlie pipe line, so if your in the the hills area, you might want to check with the Water Authority to find out if your address draws from the Kalgoorlie line. Otherwise you only need to worry about chlorine which is easy to deal with. I use a pinch of Potassium Metabisulfite (k2o5s2) or half a Campden tab(same stuff) on vessel fill up just in case, but probably not necessary.

Hi Darren, looks like I'm too late for this batch but I have an RO filter and I'm five minutes from you. If your filter is still on the boat for your next brew day, send me a PM and I'll fill a 20 litre cube for you.

Your tap water is probably the same as mine, which comes from the Mt. Yokine tower. It's soft but has fairly high sodium and chloride. Knock out the chlorine with a campden tablet or pre-boiling and it's OK for most styles but particularly suited to maltier amber to brown beers.

Latest posts

Back