Buying Hops In Tasmania?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillscottish

Uh, Detective Parson, madam.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can buy hops in Tassie from any Hop Farms or Processor?
A forum search brings up a 2009 thread that says No, but is that still the case?

Campbell
Off to Tassie soon.

A forum search brings up a 2009 thread that says No, but is that still the case?

Campbell
Off to Tassie soon.

Used to be able to until some bullyboy HB shop owner put a stop to it.

I recommend turning up tp a farm and see what you can do.

tnd

Used to be able to until some bullyboy HB shop owner put a stop to it.

I recommend turning up tp a farm and see what you can do.

tnd

Please... Name that homebrew shop...

because I'd love them to sue you for slander...

Campbell
Off to Tassie soon.

If you find out would be great to let us know. I'll be down that way in a couple of months. Also can we bring flowers into Oz from Tassy without Quarantine issues?

I brought flowers from NZ without as much as a second glance recently. Tassie should be easy?!

I brought flowers from NZ without as much as a second glance recently. Tassie should be easy?!

Jeez you must have got lucky. In my experience both airport customs & AQIS (mail) get very nosy when my hops have come in.

My US pellets shipped from the Midwest were opened and checked by AQIS with one of their lovely flyers inserted that they had had a look around. If they were flowers I'm sure they would have been seized.

I've brought pellets in from NZ on a flight, had them sail through the first time with the only question being 'Are they flowers?', and the second time my brother brought some through for me and had them seized, he got a lecture about getting them sprayed/heat treated, getting a $150 permit etc. Then the fools realised they had messed up and returned them via post with an apology. That's just with pellets.

I'd hate to think what would happen with flowers. If you check the AQIS site I think you'll find they have to be 'processed' ie. pelletised, or you need a permit.

Hop Pellets/Extract & AQIS - No permit required: AQIS Hop Pellets
Hops Dried (Flowers) - Permit & Heat treatment required:AQIS Dried Hops

Tassie on the other hand should be fine. It's bringing hop material into Tassie & WA that is the issue from what I understand, but happy to be corrected on that one.

Hopper.

I bought hops back from Washinton state and the AQIS guy at the airport was really cool about it. I said I'd looked up the AQIS website and told him that it said pellets were cool by them and he said, "great, saves me from looking it up." Then he asked about what kind off beers I was making with them.

He looked at the labels on one of the vac packs that said pellets and waved us through. The other two could have been filled with crack for all he cared.

Most of these guys work on profiling and how worried you are.

into Oz from Tassy

Last time I checked Tassie was actually part of Oz... :rolleyes:

You shouldn't have any quarantine issues bringing plant matter out of Tas onto the mainland, but you do have to declare any plant matter on the way into Tas (not relevant in this case).

P.S. enjoy your trip QldKev

You shouldn't have any quarantine issues bringing plant matter out of Tas onto the mainland, but you do have to declare any plant matter on the way into Tas (not relevant in this case).

Naaa, it can't be part of Oz.. We don't have two heads up here :ph34r:

Next you will be telling me WA is also a part of Oz?

I was more thinking it not being part of the Australian mainland.

QldKev

P.S. enjoy your trip QldKev

You might want to check what currency they use??

Cheers

Paul

Don't take the bait, don't take the bait... ;)

Don't take the bait, don't take the bait... ;)

only jk :D

Sorry stillscottish for getting offtopic

I've sent AQIS an email asking to clarify that it would be ok to bring hop flowers in,
pellets we know are ok.

Then we just have to find someone to sell them to us.
I've been trying to get a local down there to go up to some farms and ask for me, but it seems to hard for them.

only jk :D

Sorry stillscottish for getting offtopic

I've sent AQIS an email asking to clarify that it would be ok to bring hop flowers in,
pellets we know are ok.

Then we just have to find someone to sell them to us.
I've been trying to get a local down there to go up to some farms and ask for me, but it seems to hard for them.

see link attached for what you can/cannot bring into Tas. ( not sure about the grain, hops etc us brewers bring into the state, best not to ask perhaps)

Taking things out of Tas is an issue for the state your taking things into...maybe mainland states need Devil Facial Tumors and lying Greens?

DPIPWE web site

Cheers
Chris

Speculation only:

Perhaps the issue might be that if you could buy directly from the growers, you would need to buy a 5kg bag the same as the repackaging middlemen do? Might be that most growers would not package into anything smaller?
Sort of like trying to get a couple of kilos of wheat from a grain grower: if you know them they will let you bring your own bag and fill up but if you are not known to them...

The other problem is it seems that a lot of the farms are owned by big companies. I guess the smaller farms don't need websites etc because they don't need to advertise etc because they probably have forward contracts for all of their crops?

Jeez you must have got lucky. In my experience both airport customs & AQIS (mail) get very nosy when my hops have come in.

Hop Pellets/Extract & AQIS - No permit required: AQIS Hop Pellets
Hops Dried (Flowers) - Permit & Heat treatment required:AQIS Dried Hops

Hopper.
wow. My package was approx 30X15X15 full of some rather fresh cascade flowers that were meant for a micro who stood up the shop in Christchurch. It's labelled - Cascade Cone hops. They didn't even look inside the bag, not even touch or handle them at all. I put it into the x-ray and I pulled it off the belt. Just a couple of questions - what are the hops for? - beer. From new Zealand? Yes. Go through.

Sorry for the OT guys. Seems like a lucky dip out there.

Speculation only:

Perhaps the issue might be that if you could buy directly from the growers, you would need to buy a 5kg bag the same as the repackaging middlemen do? Might be that most growers would not package into anything smaller?
Sort of like trying to get a couple of kilos of wheat from a grain grower: if you know them they will let you bring your own bag and fill up but if you are not known to them...

The other problem is it seems that a lot of the farms are owned by big companies. I guess the smaller farms don't need websites etc because they don't need to advertise etc because they probably have forward contracts for all of their crops?

Nothing wrong with a 5kg 10 minute IPA, is there?

Well you can buy some hops from me if you want. I mean, a lot of them came from the Craftbrewer shopfront and came down in the container when we moved but they'll be fine. Cheap rates. Hardly used.

Check this link.http://www.hopco.com.au/contact-us.html

and you can find Sandy Ross on facebook

but 5 kg boxes.............better get brewin',,,,,,,,BIGtime :D

Back