Buying Copper Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plastic Man

Reaction score
I was planning on making an immersion chiller tommorrow and rang Tradelink for a price on 18m of half inch Copper tube. $111. I know copper price has gone through the roof, (I work in the cable game), but that seemed high.

Anyone know if there are any cheaper options out there?? or is this actually the price now. (I'll buy some shares in MIM if it is!!)

Thanks for help.

That sounds dear. I got prices for 18m of 3/8 ($81/$101+GST), 5/8 ($175/$182+GST) and 3/4 ($115??/$192+GST) just recently. But no 1/2" prices sorry. These prices were for (Tradelink/Brierley Hose and Handling). I think I've seen 18m of 1/2" at my local bunnings for about $76 I think.

Guess you'll have to keep ringing around to find a better price.

Don't rule out 3/8" copper either though, that's what mine is and it works super. If it happens to be cheaper then go it, but you'll have to find fittings to adapt to your garden hose.

Refidgeration places have had good raps on their prices from forum members.

Good luck.

JD

I just priced some up today, 'southern plumbing' sell 18m of 1/2" for $64 + GST..

I'm looking at making a counterflow chiller this weekend... a funky one.. might start a thread..

I bought 18 metres of 1/2 inch from Reece Plumbing supplies for around $70 in March this year. May have gone up by now but over $100 does sound a bit dear :blink:

Good luck,

Shawn.

I recently purchased 18 meteres of 3/8 copper tubing from bunnings in brisbane for $78 from memory. I looked at the 1/2 inch at the same time and I think it was marginally dearer but nowhere near $111

cheers mothballs

I purchased 18 m of 1/2" copper tubing for about $70 from a local hardware store, Bunnings were marginally more expensive ($5 or so). Don't pay $110 if it's the same stuff!

Ring a refrigeration store. I bought 18m of 3/8 copper for $45 inc GST a couple of months ago from Refrigeration Parts Victoria. Other places were charging twice as much.

Cheers guys

I think I'll give tradelink a big miss on this one. The guy even made the comment he was giving me trade price.!!??

Thanks again - saved me a fortune !! I'll keep calling round.

plastic man , i dont know if you are aware about the type of copper you will need for your chiller but the type you need is called maleable (check spelling) this is the softer type and is made so it is easy to bend into shape without kinking, but use a bending spring when you do and you should have no worries. just take your time bending the copper and dont rush it. cheers.

If you go to a refrigeration wholesaler then ask for soft drawn and as Sosman says they will be the cheapest.

Thanks for info.

I was a bit strapped for time, (read 3 boys under 5 - one being only 10 weeks old) - so ended up buying a coil (18m) from the local hardware store for $82. At least thsi was better than Tradelinks $110. Attached is a pic of the beast. Should do the trick.

Cheers and thanks again for feedback/help !!!!

100_0069.JPG

Back