Buying an Ipad for SWMBO (advice needed.)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Its the lovely ladies birthday in a month and Im stuck what to buy her as she already has everything she needs. Except an Ipad which she's wanted for ages.

Now I know there are plenty of Apple haters on here who are going to say why not get a Samsung Galaxy tab, etc etc, but she has an Iphone 5 so an Ipad fits in with our operating environment.

So my question to current ipad owners is what storage size do you have and is it big emough?

the 16gb is under $500 but the 32gb is $650. Not sure if its worth getting the extra storage.

Her usage is just web browsing, emails and playing some of her games but they are all slot type games not heavy stuff like infinity blade and that sort of stuff.

She wouldnt use the camera much, her phone would be used more for that and she doesnt have any music stored as she uses the MOG app.

She might put a couple of movies on it too watch if we went away but thats about it.

So anyone else with a 16gb with similar usage patterns, do you find a 16gb sufficient for your needs?

Appreciate the feedback.

These days most of your data can be on the cloud so internal storage within the device is less important. 16G should be plenty unless you want to load the thing with videos/music but you would be better off streaming that stuff from a pc or server anyway.

Cheers
Dave

P.S... the galaxy note is really cool...

I would suggest you don't bother getting the 3G model, just go the standard Wifi only version. I bought the 3G thinking It'd be useful, bought a pre-paid SIM as well, have used it exactly once.

16Gb will be fine, as long as you're not syncing your iTunes music library with it.

repeating what the guys have said above, if she's really into music 16 gig won't be enough, i know it's not for me

Music/movies in the cloud is only useful if you're at home.
Take it elsewhere and you're on 3/4G, or paired with your phone (3/4G), or someone else's wifi. Most of those options are slow, expensive, or both. You don't want to be streaming much.

When it comes to computers, devices, NBN's, technology in general - always get more than you think you'll need. In 12 months, you'll probably have used it up.

As for not bothering with the 3G model, I concur with that. If she has the iphone she can set that up as a wifi hotspot.

Not getting the 3g version as she will use it mainly at home and can hotpost from her iphone or mine which is a company Iphone so I have unlimited data anyway.

She doesnt synch any music/videos from itunes, just uses MOG to stream music so that wont be a problem. And we have an Apple Tv and xbmc so she can sream movies via that. Not that she would watch them at home on th Ipad anyway.

Ok well sounds like the 16gb is plenty. Thank **** for that. Theres an extra $150 bucks I can slip into the brewing budget.. :)

Latest posts

Back