Buying A Water Filter....advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symphony1975

Reaction score
i am looking at buying a basic water filtration system of some sorts....RO is a bit out of the budget at the moment.....thinking of a carbon filter type...

can anyone who has bought one, offer any advice/suggestions on a brand or type to buy? where did you buy it? what features to look for?

single or double stage?

i see sponsor site has a model but it is out of stock. there are heaps on ebay but not sure if one is better than another.

cheers

What are you looking to filter out of the water

Try a plumbers supply shop, Reece, Cooks ext and tell them what you want. If the guy behind the counter knows his elbow from his arsehole he'll hook you up with the fittings and hoses required, providing you can tell him how you plan to connect it - eg, most under sink applications have mini cistern cocks before the flick mixer, like the one feeding your toilet - so 1/2" connections.

If you want to filter out particulate matter, a single unit will do the trick. For odour or super fine stuff, go a particulate unit then connected to a unit with the carbon filter. The finer the filter, the more often you'll be changing it. Obviously in the case of a two filters, that means double the cost and in most cases, a reduction in water pressure at the tap.

For what it's worth, I brew and drink unfiltered tank water with seemingly no ill effects. Only cause for concern is when the tank is really low and we get a bunch of rain which tends to stir up the sediment and dead frogs on the bottom a little..

Try a plumbers supply shop, Reece, Cooks ext and tell them what you want. If the guy behind the counter knows his elbow from his arsehole he'll hook you up with the fittings and hoses required, providing you can tell him how you plan to connect it - eg, most under sink applications have mini cistern cocks before the flick mixer, like the one feeding your toilet - so 1/2" connections.

If you want to filter out particulate matter, a single unit will do the trick. For odour or super fine stuff, go a particulate unit then connected to a unit with the carbon filter. The finer the filter, the more often you'll be changing it. Obviously in the case of a two filters, that means double the cost and in most cases, a reduction in water pressure at the tap.

For what it's worth, I brew and drink unfiltered tank water with seemingly no ill effects. Only cause for concern is when the tank is really low and we get a bunch of rain which tends to stir up the sediment and dead frogs on the bottom a little..

Dead Frog Ale? :lol:

Dead Frog Ale? :lol:

I honestly didn't know there was such a thing until now.

glass_nutbrown.jpg

I honestly didn't know there was such a thing until now.
glass_nutbrown.jpg

:icon_offtopic: and but if frogs are really the thermometer of the well-being of this planet then we're in deep shit! <_<
Nothing against Dead Frog Brewery as such but just saying things as they are. :angry:
AIPA brewday with 54% Rye & too many beers. Just saying again! :lol:

What are you looking to filter out of the water

chlorine and any particulate matter that may come out of the tap (been getting a bit of crap coming out of the tap lately)

FYI- my supply is South East Water in Melbourne

cheers

Here's my opinion:

Do you brew All-grain?

If yes, Chlorine gets boiled off and any crap settles to the bottom along with your kettle trub.

If no, Spend your money on moving to All-grain instead.

If you dont want to fork out the cash for a RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/De Ioinisng) set up which will remove everything out of the water.
0 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) water can be found at all good marine aquarium shops. Its used in top up water for salt water aquariums, I cant afford a RODI unit and they can waste a bit of water so I buy mine from Williamstown aquarium for $2.50/ 25L

Never thought of brewing with it.

I recently bought a three stage under sink system from Clarence Water Filters. Look them up they have lots of products to suit diferent needs and I found their prices very competitive.
The main reason was because the town water is woeful and it was the wifes idea so I didnt argue. We are confident there are no nasties in the water now, so peace of mind and all that. Ide say if you are on a good town water supply its not going to make much of a dif especially to your brews.
Daz

I bought a 2 stage filter off ebay for about $150 and installed it myself.

Now the whole family has filtered water to drink and I have filtered water to brew with.

Whether it makes a difference I don't know, but it makes me feel better so that is a good thing in itself.

Damian.

considering the build up I see in the family kettle after a few weeks I will at some point further down the track probably move to fitering water for my brewing, also the minister of everything drinks gallons a day so not a big sell. Check the kitchen kettle if it looks all manky after a few weeks then your probably on a path to atleast iomprove your beers slightly. just my 2c

Not too sure how much you are willing to spend but I am selling this unit. I used it for about 6 months when I had my coral reef aquarium. It is in perfect working condition & has been sitting in my garage for the last few months unused. I have a reading of 55tds & I get 0tds after running it through this system. The only problem is it eliminates everything from your water & I mean everything. The water is as pure as can be so you will need to add minerals back to your water if going that way. The unit will produce 400l per day.
PM me if you are interested, $200.00 + postage

This is the one I got, the mid or high grade one. Mainly for drinking water for the entire family plus I get to use it for brewing. Not sure I have noticed any diff in the beer but the water from the filter is 100% better than straight tap water.
http://www.waterfilterworld.com.au/index.php?cPath=180

Back