Butterscotch flavour from US05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbetland

Reaction score
Done a JSGA clone BIAB type reciepe recently that I have done many times before with great success. This time as it neared fg it started tasting bad like butterscotch. I used us05 as usual. I think my air ration was not real great. Do you guys think this could be the problem or was it an infection. I upped the temp a few degrees but it did not help. I ferment in a temp controlled fridge so I don't think this is the problem. Any help would be great.

I sometimes get diacetyl with US05 in IPAs. Strangely not in APAs.

Might have something to do with the higher OG.

I gave up on us 05 because of this.

I've got a Fat Yak clone in the fermenter with US05 for 3 days now which had a taste I couldn't distinguish. After reading this I think its diacetyl also. A very buttery type taste to it.
Dropped from 1.045 to 1.006 in 3 days at 20C.

If I increase it to 22C now does it make a difference if I keep it there until next Wednesday?

Or should you only do it for a few days before cold crashing?

I always do it as the krausen is looking like its dropping. I take a gravity reading and if it is 5 or points off I'll d-rest.

Battled a sweet/honey/butter aroma in beers using 05 for years before listening to a podcast interview with Dr Charlie Bamforth. Now I pitch a little extra yeast, and wait two weeks minimum before chilling.

Look up Vicinal diketones (VDKs). The two major VDKs of concern to the brewer are diacetyl (2,3-butanedione) and 2,3-pentanedione. Google Vicinal diketones and Charlie Bamforth.

Also had a similar result caused by an infection when open fermenting. Gave the inside of the fermenting fridge a good seeing to with bleach and vinegar solution, problem solved.

Screwy

So instead of increasing ferm temps to 22C Screwy your saying to just let it be for two weeks at 20C then CC?

That works for me.

Nick JD said:
Easier to just use 1272. Tastier too. Less cloudy too.
Ive never had this before with US05...And wont again either.

Truman said:
So instead of increasing ferm temps to 22C Screwy your saying to just let it be for two weeks at 20C then CC?

That works for me.
Not a big user of US-05 but yeah my understanding is with ales you can complete a D rest at fermentation temps. However after once having had a beer judged with slight diacetyl and then completing an "off flavors" tasting session I noticed it in beers that I had previously thought were "D" free.

I now like to pop up the temp two degrees when I'm at about 8-10 SG points off FG. This giving the active yeast time to mop up the D. Particularly more important in highly flocculation yeast strains as you want cells in suspension to metabolise the yeast.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have set the temp to 22 and will give it a few days and see what happens.

Truman said:

That works for me.
Keep things simple around here Truy :) 15g of US-05 per 22L, ferment at 19°C, leave for 2 weeks. Drop to 10°C over 2 days, drop to 3°C - 4°C over 2 days, @ 3 weeks keg onto gelatine.

This is my regime as it's not possible to raise above fermentation temp all year round. Prefer to use the same process every time....................................... Same each time = easy for me to remember :lol:

Screwy

I've found that some slight agitation towards the end of fermentation seems to help with a D rest.

The last few times I've used US05 I give the fermeter as spin - pick it up by the handels and rotate it around. It kicks up the yeast a little. I try not and splash too much, but I guess its all CO2 in the fermember at that stage so it shouldn't matter.

Havn't had a problem with butterscotch / honey flavours since i started doing this.

PS I also bump the temp from 18C to 20C for D rest.

Well I'm officially of us05. Done the same brew as a double on Tuesday. Fermenting one with us05 and one with 1056. Us05 tastes like a tub of pure butter, krusen has gone and I think it's lawn food but ill give it another week. 1056 still has about a 2 inch krusen and tastes magnificent. I don't think I have an infection but who knows. But I'm gunna stick to liquid yeast from now on. I have no confidence in us05 anymore. Maybe it's just a bad batch.

I uasually brew US-05 at 17 or 18 two weeks she's done, no special oxigination meathod, just let it splash about at ferm temp when filling the fermenter. Either sprinkle fresh pack or I'm filling a fermenter with US-05 all ready in there. 2 weeks bump to 26 over 3-4 days leave at 26 for 24hrs, crash to 3-4 for cold crash leave for a week. I do have to admit I've been a little lazy with cc and gel and so forth , but hey I'm drinkin it and I don't mind it cloudy for a week or two

Just to clarify, diacetyl tastes like the smell of buttered popcorn, not like a Werther's Original.

Back