Burners In Brisbane?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I have been using a cast iron single burner which has been fine for my 15-20 litre boils however I finally got my keg system last week and my first boil with the keg and added amount of liquid really struggled to get the rolling boil I was after.

So I am guessing it would be something to do with my burner. no idea what the btu is but from what a local camping store said it would probably be around 30 000.

So I am on the lookout for something with some more power while still keeping within a tight budget.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to get and where I can get it in brisbane?

Cheers!

BTW: I do not have a stand at the moment so I am resting the keg ontop of the cast iron legs of the burner, then syphining the wort into the fermenter once cooled.
will need to be able to do this with the new burner.

I use a 3 ring cast iron burner and it works quite well. No real complaints, however one night I did have a tough time with it when there was this terribly strong circling wind and it was freezing cold (couldn't get a wind brake set up). However every other brew I have done over the last few years has been event free. Cost me about $35.

Considering a NASA though, but no real rush.

Cheers, Justin

I was looking at big stock pots and burners today!

As far as burners go, "the great escape" at slacks creek had tonnes of different models - both 1, 2 and 3 ring. I think the 3 ring was in the order of $50-60.

I need a decent boiler for my mashing setup - I looked at stock pots at Andale - they had a really nice 40L heavy duty aluminium stock pot for $88; a 35L for $77. The stainless were around 130-140! Ouch!

Now I want a big keg to cut up!!

Oh well - will keep looking. Hope that might help with the burners though. Wonder if we should do a bulk buy and see what we can get?

Matt

Looks like we are both looking for a decent burner at the same time mate. I have a keg to convert into a HLT so will be doing full boils for the first time and also using it for sparge water etc, I will buy something I know will do the job.

If you find a bargain let me know. :D

Grain and Grape have the NASA for $99 including HP regulator.

Not sure what postage to Brisbane would entail though.

Warren -

Guys don't mess around with 2-3 ring burners , you will find down the track you will up grade to a NASA anyway.

Go in together and buy them from Global Imports in Adelaide.

If a few you you order you can split postage.
Believe me these burners are the only way to go

Batz

Busting to light mine in anger Batz.

Should be testing it in the next few days... (fingers and lighter crossed). :)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Busting to light mine in anger Batz.

Should be testing it in the next few days... (fingers and lighter crossed). :)

Warren -
[post="64436"][/post]​

Don't forget to give it a test run to burn the paint of the stand Warren.
You don't want those fumes getting in your brew on first use.

Beers,
Doc

hmmm... I might be tempted by a NASA burner too..... Need to find me a keg as well!

Matt

Doc said:
Don't forget to give it a test run to burn the paint of the stand Warren.
You don't want those fumes getting in your brew on first use.

Beers,
Doc
[post="64438"][/post]​

No worries Doc. Will do. :)

I've also made some rails out of black, heavy-duty cast angle iron to hold the boiler at the correct height to drain to the fermenters. Also I don't trust the frame on the NASA to hold a keg safely.

The angle iron has black paint too. So that will require some burning as well. I was planning on boiling a keg full of water to get a feel for the whole thing anyway. This will also serve to clean the inside of my new boiler (converted keg) as well.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="64433"][/post]​

Hi, just had a look through the Grain and Grape website and can't find anything called a NASA burner but have a feeling it is the outdoor burner they have for $49.95 (hose and reg an extra $59.95)
They also have a mongolian burner which is 130,000 BTU as is the one above.

Am I on the right track?

Brizbrew said:
warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="64433"][/post]​

Hi, just had a look through the Grain and Grape website and can't find anything called a NASA burner but have a feeling it is the outdoor burner they have for $49.95 (hose and reg an extra $59.95)
They also have a mongolian burner which is 130,000 BTU as is the one above.

Am I on the right track?
[post="64451"][/post]​
Gameco has a QLD office. http://www.gameco.com.au/

Also you don't need to buy the welding gloves to operate this particular unit :ph34r:

http://brewiki.org/HeatSources

Brizbrew,

The one you want is called a Turkey Burner. Mongolian puts out as much heat, however has problems running on a lower setting. You basically lose your blue flame and your kettle soots up.

Mongolian Burner Problems

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Also I don't trust the frame on the NASA to hold a keg safely.
[post="64447"][/post]​

If it is the one from Globe Imports, then it holds up just fine.
I've had 47 litres in the boiler on top of it many many times.

Beers,
Doc

Nasa is good need another so i have a 3 ring to sell

Tidalpete said:
mobrien said:
Need to find me a keg as well!

Matt

You & me both mobrien. If you find one, tell me where. :)
[post="64482"][/post]​
Don't know if you saw the thread I posted last week but I have been promised three kegs as part payment for a job I am doing. I have plans for two of the kegs but would consider trading one of them for something, don't really want cash because trading is far more interesting and it brings out the best in people.

Any offers?

I use a 4 ring burner i got from bbq galore.
My Boiler (keg) sits on top of the lugs nicely
Goes like a train !
Need to turn the large ring down at times as it wants to take off !!

homebrewworld.com said:
I use a 4 ring burner i got from bbq galore.
My Boiler (keg) sits on top of the lugs nicely
Goes like a train !
Need to turn the large ring down at times as it wants to take off !!
[post="64485"][/post]​

I should not keep on about this

My last burner was a four ring , yes it was Ok

I found when I turned the fourth ring on full a lot of flame went up the sides of the keg.
I also ground the lugs on the burner a little so the keg sat inside a bit more snug.

Now these are not a patch on the NASA burners (turkey fryers)
I did use one for years , well it cost me over $60.00 so I could not justify an update for sometime.

Batz

Hey Batz, with the pic you have there, could you put the keg straight onto the burner or would you need to build some sort of stand like you have to hold the keg?

Back