Burner Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewologist

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm setting up my brew rig for BIAB brewing. I have my 70L pot and everything else I need to start double/triple batches for the cornies. I have been looking at gas burners to boil the brew. I was looking at a Rambo/Bromic 4 ring burner but have been reading that they may take a while to get 50/60L to the boil. Then I saw these high pressure wok burners:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130Mj-Safety-Ex...8#ht_2557wt_936

They are rated at 130Mj/h. Thats nearly three times that of the Rambo.

Has anyone got/used this burner?

It's a bit more expensive than the 4 ring burner but if they pump out the heat, get up to the boil quicker and speed up the brew day I'm keen to get one.

Cheers,

A 70l pot will need a fair bit of water for 40l of wort at the end let alone 60litres. I use one and with boil off I need to start with about 4o plus litres of water to do a full single batch Biab. Add about 8 or 9kg of grain to an estimated 60l of water and you have an overflow............before you have even started and thats for a double batch.

A 70l pot will need a fair bit of water for 40l of wort at the end let alone 60litres. I use one and with boil off I need to start with about 4o plus litres of water to do a full single batch Biab. Add about 8 or 9kg of grain to an estimated 60l of water and you have an overflow............before you have even started and thats for a double batch.

I picked up this beauty the other day for a 6 pack.
After.jpg

You can find them at camping stores for around $80. Don't use a regulator at all and you can boil your 50L in around 20-25min. Make sure that you have it on a decent base!

Thanks Rowy,

Might be a bit ambitious with the triple batch. May have to upgrade to a larger pot later. Thats why I want to buy a burner that will still be viable if I go larger batches down the track. What sort of burner do you use?

Baris, I have been looking at those to. How long to get 50L or so to the boil with the italian?

Cheers,

If he wants to do double or triple batches full Biab his problem is not the burner its fitting all the water and grain in the 70litre pot.

I have a 4 ring burner and it does the job but I only do double batches at the most, but the other day I was watching monster garage and they hooked up 2 of these burners with high flow regulators and were able to get their 500L kettle to boil which was pretty impressive. I am not sure how safe it would be to change regulators though....

3 ring burner. I do 23litre batches and it gets things boiling no problems with the reg I have. If I had my way again I'd go for 100litre pot with a Mongolian burner. That way I could do bigger batches. Best of luck with the brewing and most importantly enjoy your beers :icon_cheers:

Hey Nathan,

So with that burner you just go straight from the gas bottle to the burner?

My knowledge of gas is limited to using a bbq.

Boiloff % can be decreased with a floating thing on top of the mash like a bit of styrofoam (e.g. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...46529&st=20) , but yeah kinda hard doing triples with BIAB in a 70L pot. You might be able to dilute a bit or use extract/sugar to bump the OG on a diluted batch but still it's going to be a tight squeeze.

Anyway back to the OP i use a burner similar to a spiral with an adjustable regulator and I have seen it do a 60L boil no probs.

Hey Nathan,

It looks like a two-ring burner you would normally use a regulator on.

Hey Nathan,

You will need a regulator

Hey Nathan,

Yeah, you can buy the fittings at Bunnings $10.90 for the bottle connector and $17.90 for the 1500mm hose. There is no real need for a regulator if you have good taps on your burner. I can get the flames about 3 foot straight up.

Thanks Rowy,

Might be a bit ambitious with the triple batch. May have to upgrade to a larger pot later. Thats why I want to buy a burner that will still be viable if I go larger batches down the track. What sort of burner do you use?

Baris, I have been looking at those to. How long to get 50L or so to the boil with the italian?

Cheers,
about 15 to 20 minutes from run off to boil. the spirals have enough power to boil over 100L easily.
you can do a triple batch in a 70 L pot but you ether need to use an anti foam or do a reduced boil ie 3x 15L then dilute in the fermentor.
note this is not biab figures.

There is no real need for a regulator if you have good taps on your burner.

Now who said you don't get great advice on the internet :rolleyes:

Use a regulator. Get an adjustable high pressure one if you like.

Now who said you don't get great advice on the internet :rolleyes:

Use a regulator. Get an adjustable high pressure one if you like.

Yes I will second that I don't think their is any need to take the risk of not using a regulator.

So why use a reg? I have used these burners for years on steamers with out regs and had no problems. You just have to remember to keep turning up the flow as your bottle empties.

Thanks Rowy,
I think the Mongolian is 90Mj/h. I suppose you would have to weld up a base for it to sit on to.

Hey Cam,
Thanks for the info. The 4 burner does look good but if I end up upgrading to a larger pot $$$ I don't want to have to buy a new burner too. more$$$

Thanks for the info, keep it coming. Anyone doing 100L plus brews? What are you using to boil it with?
Me, being somewhat time poor, I need to make the most of brew day.

So why use a reg? I have used these burners for years on steamers with out regs and had no problems. You just have to remember to keep turning up the flow as your bottle empties.

Sorry, but your advice is just f***ing dangerous. A regulator is designed to keep the pressure down in the hosing as a leak at full gas pressure can turn bad very, very quickly.

Thanks Rowy,
I think the Mongolian is 90Mj/h. I suppose you would have to weld up a base for it to sit on to.

Hey Cam,
Thanks for the info. The 4 burner does look good but if I end up upgrading to a larger pot $$$ I don't want to have to buy a new burner too. more$$$

Thanks for the info, keep it coming. Anyone doing 100L plus brews? What are you using to boil it with?
Me, being somewhat time poor, I need to make the most of brew day.

Yeh I agree in your case a 4 ring wouldn't be adequate, it was just all I needed. I would honestly go for a Mongolian if I were in your position.

Back