Burner Noise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerBoy

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a burner and I realize that most guys are going for the nasa.
I would happily buy one, but one big factor will be the amount of " noise" it makes!

I have a good sized backyard, but with three units down one side and a sub divided on the other you cant walk out the back without waving and saying hello to somebody.

A 90 minute boil that sounds like the space shuttle is warming up in our backyard wont exactley win me too many friendly neighbours and whats worse I dont think any of them drink beer (Philistines <_< )

Just how noisy is a Nasa or would a 3 ring burner be a quieter option?

I am also in the market for a pot, aprox 70 L,
would a 3 ring cope with that size boil effectively? any advice gratefully accepted.

G'day Boilerboy,

Check the '3 Ring Burner' thread for some views on these burners. I'm happy enough with mine.

THat said, if you are looking to boil, say, 60 litres in your 70 litre pot, then I reckon you'll need something bigger like a NASA burner. Bugger the neighbours... :lol:

Shawn.

Thanks Gough,

The nasa would seem to be the way to go from a time and efficiency point of view, I just dont like the idea of dodging rotten fruit ,eggs the odd brick for 90 min.

Been building an extension by myself for 5 years (yawn) had the gaslines replaced as well, including a line coming up to to the back verandah for the BBQ
So it would be great if I could utilize that.

If only I knew I would end up home brewing 5 years ago I could have designed some kind of cone of silence! :)

I run a NASA (it's alight right now) and they're fairly noisy beasts. Nothing compared to a lawnmower/whipper-snipper though.

I find my NASA is only really noisy when getting the brew up to the boil. 47 litres takes about 20 minutes to get to the boil, then I turn the NASA right down and the noise from the burner is barely audible.
I'm sure your neighbours could handle 20 mins of minimal flame thrower noise :p

Doc

The noise is the one factor that makes me reluctant to get a NASA at this point too, for much the same reason but also because I prefer a little peace & quiet.

I admit they are pretty noisy. I usually heat strike water at 5:30 am and dough in around 6. I would normally be concerned about the noise, but I dont like my neighbour on that side, so Im not. Goats has his inside a shed and that seems much more noisy for the operator than mine which operates outside.

You could try a mongolian burner. They throw out the same heat as a NASA ( 130000 BTU ) and are fairly quiet. Only prob with these are, they become sooty flamed at low heat.

vlbaby.

lol GL!
I have a gas pipe going straight past my barbie and I'm always worried about running out of gas mid-boil
anyone had their outfit plumbed into the mains?
I'm sure it'd be cheaper even after changing burners.

Mains connected gas is what I had in mined for our BBQ as I use it 5 or 6 times a week.
I havent had it set up yet for even that yet, but the pipe is there ready and waiting.

I'd be interested if anyone else has their burner mains connected
I just don't want to regret buying the wrong thing or having a contract put out on me by the neighbourhood watch :unsure:

yes bugger your neighbors i cant wait to get a nasa on the go at my house when i start AG's our nextbories are always having parties a dont invite us or tell us about there shows .shit they all get pissed and start singing kareoke
so a nasa might do the trick after there shows .any how if your neighbors want to through shit at you for making noise while you are doing somthing constructive you could always through grist and trub at them when you are finished LoL
or drop a big jobby on there door step and set fire to it one night.

no no only having a laugh dont worrie to much i am sure when they smell that sweat wort they will be around to taste. might even get them hooked
delboy

Well the noise isnt that bad.
Like Doc said once its hit the boil you turn it down and its barely noticeable.
If I was using mine during daylight hours and my neighbours complained I would not care as they really would not have a leg to stand on if they complained to the council etc.

johnno

just mow your lawns while your waiting for boil during daylight hours not a problem
delboy

delboy said:
just mow your lawns while your waiting for boil during daylight hours not a problem
delboy
[post="86873"][/post]​
I can just see GL firing up the mower at 5:30 am. I agree, no one will give a rats about the burner.

BoilerBoy said:
Mains connected gas is what I had in mined for our BBQ as I use it 5 or 6 times a week.
I havent had it set up yet for even that yet, but the pipe is there ready and waiting.

I'd be interested if anyone else has their burner mains connected
I just don't want to regret buying the wrong thing or having a contract put out on me by the neighbourhood watch :unsure:
[post="86835"][/post]​
I believe there a very strict rules about what you can connect to the gas mains. You can probably get a dodgy plumber to do it for you but if the joint burns down you might have some insurance issues.

boiler boy just got a call from your next door neighbore he said he dont care about your noisey boiler burner he will still throw things at you you cos he don't like you lol

BoilerBoy said:
Thanks Gough,

The nasa would seem to be the way to go from a time and efficiency point of view, I just dont like the idea of dodging rotten fruit ,eggs the odd brick for 90 min.

Been building an extension by myself for 5 years (yawn) had the gaslines replaced as well, including a line coming up to to the back verandah for the BBQ
So it would be great if I could utilize that.

If only I knew I would end up home brewing 5 years ago I could have designed some kind of cone of silence! :)
[post="86776"][/post]​

Haven't done it myself, but, a mongolian burner (do a search) will run VERY efficiently on natural gas (no running out of bottled gas. cost about $1.00/brew). If you have natural gas going to your BBQ consider getting natural gas to your brewery. BTW many catering (tomato sauce etc use the mongolian for heating). They only produce "soot" under propane. If I had lined gas here I would convert. Imagine never running out of gas!
cheers
Darren

Bit to but

that's what I'm thinking Darren. and i'll have a plumber/gas fitter here soon. Rehahahaha <maniacle hand wrenching!>
actually, i just hate the teens working at the servo when i try to get them filled

tangent said:
that's what I'm thinking Darren. and i'll have a plumber/gas fitter here soon. Rehahahaha <maniacle hand wrenching!>
actually, i just hate the teens working at the servo when i try to get them filled
[post="86923"][/post]​

Funny you should say that! This weekend I went to the servo and tried to exchange (yes I wanted to exchange an empty bottle for a full one, no filling required). The teen behind the counter said "Iam not trained for that" I said can you use a key. he said "Yep" I said all I want to do is give you this bottle and you give me a full one. He said " Sorry mate I am not trained for it". I walked and grabbed a Cherry Ripe off the shelf. and said. How much is this. He said "$2". I said well can I get a bottle out of the cage? He said " Sorry I am not trained for that" I had to leave and come back two hours later when he had left

wow
dejavu

sometimes when they say, "here's the key, would you mind? (without my supervision)"
<more maniacle hand wrenching!>

Back