Burner efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mics100

Reaction score
Hi all,
I think I've got myself a burner that is too inefficient.

I recently upgraded to all-grain, and my new burner takes about 60+ mins to get the wort to a boil. I'm using my mate's burner tonight, and it took all of 15-20 mins to get it to a rolling boil.

Is there anything i can do, apart from adjust the air-screw, to make it hotter?

I've already adjusted the screw to bright blue flame, and built a temporary flame shield out of bricks.

The two-ring burner looks like this:

$_12.JPG

Thanks!

do you have a medium pressure reg?
that can make a huge difference.

Keg King have adjustable regs for about $10
I use one with my spiral burner and it pumps.
There's a banjo burner (I think it's a banjo) on eBay with a stand and reg as well if I recall for $60 probably better than a 2 ring.

I'm going to leave this here... :)

http://qldkev.net/burners.php

I watched this bloke years ago when I was mad keen to start brewing. Great stuff and well written. He's on the forum around here too. His youtube video on NASA burners is a cracker....

On my three ring, I drilled out every hole to increase flow rate but it went bad on fuel/air mixture. Marginal gain. Not worth it!

Buy the burner you need. The fluid dynamics in the engineering are specific. Get the banjo. Go big, get it done right up front... then you never worry again. $saving$ is a goal, but spending a bit more up front saves you soooooo much money in the long run!

www.ibrew.com.au is where I got mine. He's a champ.

Also, (my opinion only) Don't go the NASA style, high flow rate into a few ports equals noise. Shits me to tears after 10 minutes....banjos are huge, high flow rate over large area.... excellent and crazy powerful.

Been known to burn the odd hair or million.....

20MJ on a 2 ring, you said 60 minutes. So about 40-50 litres right?

Edit: correction, you said to the boil so 1-e^-t at that range assuming losses. 25-30?

Maybe a banjo too big! But like a V8 for city driving..... It's there, to be used at your discretion. [emoji41]

Wow, some great advice, guys.

I'm only dealing with 20L batches, so around 25L in the boil.

Does a regulator make that much of a difference?

My gut says i should just upgrade. There's a few on ebay which look good, any other suggestions as to where to get a burner?
(Melbourne area).

Thanks

Regulator controls the amount of gas available to the burner, so yes, absolutely makes a difference. There are low, medium and high pressure LPG regulators to be had. I have a medium pressure on my 4-ring, so I'd guess medium pressure would be enough for you. I also have a high pressure one, but haven't had a chance to trial that yet. Anyone more qualified have a better answer perhaps???

i just bought the LPG burner from Keg King $149, but its designed for bigger batches 40-50L. There are some considerations before u faff with your burner. They are normally set to burn correctly e.g the right amount of air. If the flame is too yellow (notr enuf air), u are getting an incomplete burn and will be sooting up your kettle but also producing carbon monoxide which will kill u in confined spaces. By cranking up the air u get a blue flame which is oxidative, this is super hot and can cut metal if focused correctly...u want to be somewhere in the middle

I use a cylinder of sheet metal around my kettle to form a closed pocket around my kettle. This is easy for me because my kettle was made from a keg, and has a bulge around the middle. I put a couple of latches on the sheet metal so that I can clamp it snugly around the bulge. Thus my kettle is surrounded by hot gas from the burner, and I get heat transfer through the sides as well as the bottom. I use about one third to one quarter as much propane as when I used an open flame, and it takes maybe two thirds as long to heat up. As you might infer, I'm using a much lower flame than without the concentrator; any higher and most of the additional flame would be lost, flowing out around the concentrator. I'm not sure how to make a concentrator for a straight sided kettle. Maybe a sheet metal worker could devise something.

Back