Burgers....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BadSeed said:
Sounds great, a fish sandwich.
my folks have always had cajun fish souvlaki or burger on their menu. Whatever fish u want rolled in cajun spices, whatever else you want salad wise l, cooked onion and sweet chilli sauce. Killer.

A little tip I heard a while ago.

Does anyone else get the thing where you make a nice flat round burger, not too thick, not too thin, and then when you cook it, it balls right up in the centre finishing up like a half round burger meatbally thing that just gets difficult to eat and all your shit falls off the top and out of it when you take a bite. Yep, annoying isn't it.

So to stop that, and pardon me if this is somewhat common knowledge cause it was a small miracle to me when I found out, all you gotta do is, before you put your pattie on the grill is make a small indent in the centre, some people use a spoon, some use their thumb, whatever. You don't have to punch a hole right through, just a small indent and that stops all that centre expansion keeping your pattie all nice and flat and round and harmonious to your other ingredients when it's all together between the bun. I employ the tactic all the time now to great effect, one of the best little tips I've ever heard, cause I do love a burger..... some would say a little too much but that's beside the point.

Anyway, hope some find this helpful...... and keep suckin' down those burgers, it's a complete meal, all squashed together in a convenient form. Doesn't get any easier. Oh, and by the way, I tried the three finger trick and I don't know if I'm some sort of Tyler/Jagger hybrid freak child but I can easy get four in sideways.

Flippo said:
Oh, and by the way, I tried the three finger trick ...but I can easy get four in sideways.
That's just crying out for a witty single entendre. Unfortunately I'm not feeling very witty right now so will have to settle for -

So can your mum...

Good tip on the burger patty BTW.

Yes, I did read after I hit post and thought "Oh fu.........."

It was ripe for a mum joke I suppose, the only jokes I don't typically find funny but I did walk into it, arms wide with a target on my front so you gotta cop it

Yeah... not much of a fan of the mum joke normally. But I was uninspired and this is the internet so very much lowest common denominator.

And yes, you did walk into it. Wide open. 4 fingers wide open

(4 fingers wide open... see what I did there).

I've been in too many meetings today. My brain has turned to mush. I will leave further jokes to those who are witty.. rather than half witty....

Cheers
Dave

I had a bash at the vege burger a few posts back...really good!

Lots of home-grown, roasted chilli flakes and smoked paprika.

It'd be great with an IPA ,except I'm on a self-imposed 6 weeks off beer....why was that a good idea again?

manticle said:
It wasn't. It was a shit idea.
punkin said:
******* stupid idea. Bet it was hers originally.
adryargument said:
Cheers guys, made my morning.
I'm off back to the mother land (UK) in a month, via Brugges, Antwerp and Ghent. I wanted to dry out for a bit before I commence a month of full-on eating qnd drinking.
And no...all my idea....good one, brain !

A friend of mine crumbles up nacho cheese Doritos and mixes them into the mince right before the burgers go on the BBQ. Sounds disgusting but it's the bomb.

Mardoo said:
A friend of mine crumbles up nacho cheese Doritos and mixes them into the mince right before the burgers go on the BBQ. Sounds disgusting but it's the bomb.
I used to DJ at The Lounge in Swanston St Melb every Thursday night for years and a heap of us would go in for Parma's every Thursday before we played. The parma's were massive and possibly the best ever. We could never work out how they got the crumbing so good and crisp. Then one night we got on it with the chef there (big girl, never trust a skinny cook) and she revealed the crumbing secret. Crushed up Nacho Cheese doritos and crushed up cornflakes. So good.

Danwood said:
I'm off back to the mother land (UK) in a month, via Brugges, Antwerp and Ghent. I wanted to dry out for a bit before I commence a month of full-on eating qnd drinking.
And no...all my idea....good one, brain !
Just back from 3 weeks in the UK with a couple of trips to Scotland and France. First time in 14 years for me.
Now it's salad and water for a couple of weeks :D

Lots of great food and beer to be had (though maybe not in Scotland)

Interestingly I have found that I have gone off UK style beers and prefer the American style Pales and IPA's now.

and in an attempt to get back on topic.

I tried this sauce when I was in the UK and it's fantastic.
It is great with bacon, eggs, burgers etc...

I bought back 3 bottles (from poundland) great stuff and will be a staple on my burgers from now on.

208px-Reggae_Reggae_Sauce.jpg

I can't wait to get stuck into some real ale... TTL, Blacksheep Brewery, Coniston Brewery etc.

I used to get Reggae sauce too...the maker, Levi Roots, was discovered on Dragon's Den. It's good stuff.

I fell in love with biftekia while holidaying and staying with the missus family in Greece. The recipe from their family taverna is something like this:

1/3 pork mince
2/3 beef mince
salt, pepper, oregano
onion
egg
soda water. Secret ingredient that adds lightness from the bubbles.

Combine as you would any burger but make into flatter half sized patties.

Then stuff some cheese, feta or haloumi are best. Along with capsicum. You can also use tomato or whatever else you feel like.

Then put another pattie on top to create a stuffed burger.

Grill on charcoal and serve with thick cut chips.

Here's how mine looked last Friday. I went without soda water.

2wbz61k.jpg

2a64bjd.jpg

208px-Reggae_Reggae_Sauce.jpg
[/quote]

I'm a fan also, a bloke in my suburb in London (years ago) made it and got it in Tesco. Now I can buy it at Woolies, stoked.

Cheeky mid-weeker.
2 bean burgers with chipotles in adobo sauce sandwiched between them, cheese on top and reggae reggae over that.
No bread

9815718356_bce15f67f9_c.jpg

BadSeed said:
Cheeky mid-weeker.
2 bean burgers with chipotles in adobo sauce sandwiched between them, cheese on top and reggae reggae over that.
No bread

9815718356_bce15f67f9_c.jpg
Sounds like my dream burger if it involves chipotle & beans. What do you use to get the bean burger to bind so well? I normally try flour but by the time I add enough to get a good patient tastes like flour and is gluggy.

Latest posts

Back