Bulkpriming When Cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Am about to bottle a mates first brew tonight and it has been close to a year since I bulk primed.

I looked into beersmith and plugged in my details for the brew. (21 litres - 5C)

It it telling me to use 64.5 grams of dextrose.

Does this sound right? i rmember using around 160 grams with my previous batches..

It's a porter.

Personally I prefer to warm brews to around 20C before bottling. I am yet to get reliable information regarding the volume of dissolved CO2 in a cool brew.
Some say it is dependent on the ferment temp, some the temp at bottling. I presume it fermented higher than 5C if it's a Porter.
If possible I would let it warm to room temp and go 140-160g.

Sorry slugger, just an additional thought.
At 21l 160g is probably on the high side for a porter.
Unless your mate likes 'em bubbly, maybe back that off to 120g. Some would say that's still a bit high for the style, but most new brewers I find prefer them a little more heavily carbonated than style guidelines recommend.

yes just did one,120 grms is spot on
fergi

Just finished bottling this. The brew had a funky smell, having never done a dark ale + grains to be come a porter before so I am hoping it is normal.

The smell is very strange, almost like a vegemite smell but not at the same time.

Everything went well in the brewing, all cleaned as usual and fermenter at 18 degress within my fridge.

Yeast was 1098.

Don't want my mates first brew to be shit.

sluggerdog said:
The smell is very strange, almost like a vegemite smell but not at the same time.

I had this kind of smell kegging a brew last weekend.

The smell was there when racking, but afterwards I couldn't smell it in the keg just before I fitted the lid...most confusing <_<

Gave it a taste test and everyone present agreed it tasted almost good enough to drink right then and there, even in it's warm and flat state :)

Did you taste your mate's beer before you primed it?

PZ.

*edited to make sense...me no type English so good tonight*

Nah Mate, didn't taste it, was not liking the smell at all.

After a bit of searching it sounds like I have autolsis but that is caused from hot fermenting and leaving beer on yeast too long.

I/We did the following:

Kit + Bits fermented at 18C for 6 days
racked to cube at 25C for 2 days
into fridge for 7 days
bottled tonight...

With that regime I'd be very surprised if it was autolysis.

Back