Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albioninoz

Reaction score
I always use beer kits and have always bulk primed my brews instead of applying a small amount of sugar to each bottle. I have accumulated a collection of 500ml bottles which I use. My local brewing guru is no longer available but in the beginning he gave me a table of the amount of sugar to use for a range of specific gravity. Typically, I would use about 140grams for my 22 - 23 litres of an English Bitter/Ale. I now believe that this may be a bit high as this type of beer is not as highly carbonated as others.

I am trying (for the first time) a Muntons 'Old English Bitter' brew kit. Is it still OK to bulk prime? and how much sugar (white cane sugar is OK, yes?) should I use?

I look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ray, Melbourne

You can use calculators if you want I don't if I get anything between 150-160g of dextrose then away I go, not sure how much white sugar that is equivalent to but dissolve in about 200ml of boiling water and make sure you get a good mix.

This calculator in the link above does all the equating for you and it helps you have appropriate carbonation for certain styles otherwise using the same amount every time you could have an over-carbonated mild ale or a flat stout etc.................

When using that calculator, what temperature do you enter if you fermented at 18 but you have cold conditioned down to 2 DegC and are bottling when it is still cold. do you enter 18 or 2 into temp??

When using that calculator, what temperature do you enter if you fermented at 18 but you have cold conditioned down to 2 DegC and are bottling when it is still cold. do you enter 18 or 2 into temp??

The highest temperature that the beer has been subjected to between start of fermentation, and bottling.

There is an article on here somewhere specifically about how to use a bulk priming calculator.

for the lazy ones:

The temperature used is not necessarily the fermentation temperature...it is the highest temp reached between the end of active fermentation and bottling.

Thanks guys, especially Wayne and Manticle for the links. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Cheers,

Just doing a quick test, it looks as though I would only need about 80 grams of white sugar whereas before I was using 140 grams or thereabouts! Does this surprise anyone?

Just doing a quick test, it looks as though I would only need about 80 grams of white sugar whereas before I was using 140 grams or thereabouts! Does this surprise anyone?

If dosing an English type bitter that had reached a max of about 20 during and after fermentation, I would dose between 80 and 100g so seems pretty good for that style. It's not a style that needs loads of gas.

The highest temperature that the beer has been subjected to between start of fermentation, and bottling.

This^

the highest temp reached between the end of active fermentation and bottling

Rather than this^. Remove 'end of active' and it's closer to the truth. I used to think it was only after but I was incorrect.

You can use calculators if you want I don't if I get anything between 150-160g of dextrose then away I go, not sure how much white sugar that is equivalent to but dissolve in about 200ml of boiling water and make sure you get a good mix.

About 15% less.
Using the online calculator above compared to the HBD bulk priming article I get a 15g more with the latter, probably not enough to make a massive difference but I would rather that bit extra just in case.

I have accumulated a collection of 500ml bottles which I use...

are they PET bottles, Ray?
I'm still building my collection of glass and am using 1.25L PET. Until I bottle in glass or (please santa) get a kegging system the plastic will have to do. I find that these store (and possibly even condition) best with a bit more pressure in 'em.

Before chilling, let some gas off [stop laughing] to reach the fizz level of the style. You can flick the bottle with a finger and note (pun intended) the pitch. Little twist of the lid and repeat. With time you can train your ear to the correct pitch (not very scientific but more accurate than squeezing the bottle).

Latest posts

Back