Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richiev

Reaction score
Hey peoples,

I was at my HBS the other day and enquired about bulk priming. The guy told me just to boil 180grams of normal white sugar in a bit of water until it dissolves, let it cool, then add that to my brew and gently stir it in then let it sit for 10 minutes to let the sediment settle.
Is this the best way to bulk prime?
Are there other ways to do it? Any help is appreciated.
Cheers.
Richie
:chug:

Hmmmm...

I bulk prime by boiling up 185gms (for 23 Litres of beer) and pour it into a freshly cleaned fernentation bucket.

Then using a loooonnnggg piece of tube going from the tap of the fernenter with beer in it to the new fermenter (making sure it it coiled at least once round the bottom).

Open up the tap and let the beer flow. By having it coiled in the bottom of the new fermenter you lessen the risk of oxidisation and you also leave all the sediment in the first bucket.

Has worked everytime for me.

I do the same as what Wasabi said.

180g dextrose dissolved into 600ml of water poured into the secondary fermenter.

i then loosen the lid on the primary fermenter, and have the tube coiled around the bottom of the secondary fermenter, and let it flow.

then give it a gentle stir.

excellent results, a great way of reducing the sediment and getting nice and consistent carbonation.

Absolutely, richiev, get yourself a bottling bucket or second fermenter and rack the beer onto the dissolved MALT before bottling. Leave the sediment in the fermenter instead of the bottle and insure a good mix without aerating.

I have 2 fermenters and rack from primary to secondary after a couple of days, then back into the primary to bottle 1-2 weeks later. It makes for super clean beer.

Richie ... this is straight off the info sheet at my local HBS ... hope it helps! :)

Bottling our beer always seems to be the part that we enjoy the least and especially now that lots of the bottles we collect seem to vary in size dramatically. The beer that you mastered in a 375ml bottle is now over carbonated because the bottles you saved only hold 335ml. On top of that, measuring sugar for each bottle is clumsy, inconsistent and often messy.

Bulk Priming is simply priming the whole brew prior to bottling. This allows you to use dextrose instead white sugar, and saves time and effort better spent on drinking the finished product.

You will need: -
1 x Extra fermenter (Racking bin)
1 x 2mtr racking tube
180g Dextrose

Method: -

1) Make sure your brew is ready to bottle. Two identical hydrometer readings on consecutive days is a pretty good indication.
2) Sterilise all your bulk priming gear (fermenter, racking tube etc.) and place on the floor below your primary fermenter.
3) Place the tap adaptor into the end of the racking tube and insert into the tap on the primary fermenter. Place the other end of the racking tube in the racking bin, which should coil around the bottom.
4) Dissolve 180g of dextrose in 500ml of boiling water and pour into the racking bin. Turn the primary fermenter tap on to allow the brew to flow into the racking bin and mix with the dextrose solution.
5) When the entire brew has been transferred, give a gentle stir and place up onto bench ready for bottling.
6) Connect the racking tube to the racking bin and insert your bottling device into the other end. This allows you to line up your bottles on the floor and just transfer the tube from one bottle to the next. (This is much quicker if nothing else)
7) Cap and store as normal.

Using dextrose for priming produces a cleaner finished beer with a very fine bubble resulting in a fine creamy head. Maturation time should not vary compared to your existing method.

Cool, thanks for all the advice people. I might have to look at getting a second fermenter, racking tube and tap adapter.

Richiev

When you get the second fermenter....

You can start Racking and dry hopping...

Bulk priming is the way to go .You can accuretly prime your beer and it doent matter whats size bottles either.Go to grumpys brewhaus to the brewers manual section under bulk priming racking the drum and it will have the right sugar amount to use according to your final sg reading .So go to shop and get another fermentor then you aan rack at half gravity and get clearer beer

A formula I always use is use 8g of dextrose per litre of beer. Thus a 23 litre beer would use 180g, and a 15 litre beer would use 120g

I typically bulk prime with dry malt these days though, and with dry malt being about 70% as fermentable as dextrose I increase the formula to 11g per litre. I find that priming with dry malt gives the beer a more moussy head, and a finer bead.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Latest posts

Back