Bulk Priming With Belgian Candy Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a belgian tripple that I wish to bottle and was thinking of bulk priming the batch with belgian candy sugar as I have 25kg of candy rocks sitty pretty in the brewhouse.
Has anyone ever tried this and how were the results, and also how much sugar would be good for a 18L batch.
I'm thinking of disolving around 100g in some water over the stove then using to bulk prime.

cheers
Franko

From my knowledge the primming sugar is only for carbonation and does not add to or alter the flavour of the beer nor does it add any significant volume of alcohol.

If you really want to use it then use it, otherwise normal table sugar will suffice. As said above, the amount is negligible in the overall amount of fermentables. The main flavours should have been developed during fermentation.

IMHO, save the candi sugar for later Belgian brews and just use normal sugar.
But, as you said you have 25kg of the stuff (HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO HAVE THAT MUCH FOR NO REASON???), I can't see the problem with using it for bulk priming.

As for the amount, that depends on whether you are bottling or kegging (kegging needs less due to less head space)... And how much carbonation you would like in your beer (personally I think a most Belgain beers go better with a decent amount of carbonation, as that is how they usually are)...

Sorry I can't say how much you should use, I force carb my kegs and have never tried bulk priming myself, but I'm sure someone else would be able to help you out with that. If not, I'm sure there are some good bulk priming calculators around on the web.

Cheers! :icon_chickcheers:
Dan

Back