Bulk Priming Wheat Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have heard recently that wheat beers should be bulk primed with a higher quantity of dextrose? Compared to other beer styles?

Can anyone tell me if this is true? And what a general good ratio might be?

Cheers Matt

Yep, wheat beers are traditionally primed higher. Each to their own, I recently did mine to about 2.8 volumes. That's plenty for me. I think traditionally it's supposed to be 3-4 volumes? Something along those lines.

If you google "priming calculator" a whole bunch of sites will come up with calculators that give specific volumes for different beers and priming sugars (eg dextrose, malt extract, honey etc).

Here's a link to the first one on the list http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...Calculator.html

Dave

funny first link it goes to is THIS!. not sure who les smith is, is it the wessmith on here??? I dont think it is but still funny

Thanks guys
I usually bulk prime with dextrose at 180g per 23 litre batch and ferment at 22deg.
This suits my taste pretty well. Using the calculator I get 250g.
With this amount am I creating bottle bombs?
Cheers Matt

Quite possibly that amount will make bottle bombs . I bulk primed a wheat beer with 280 gms and had a few bottles explode . The temp was around 17-18 *C which meant it had a high residual of Co2 in the fermenter . If you have fermented at 22*C which is too high for this style as well as Ales it should be OK with this amount of sugar , as much of the Co2 would have been released from the beer .

Cheers

Leachim

Latest posts

Back