Bulk Priming - Time Delay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
What I have been doing is one fermentation then racking to jerry can for bulk priming, waiting about a hour for the wort to re-settle then bottleing.

My question is, is it ok to leave the wort in the bulk priming bucket for a hour or so and will this effect the carbonation at all? It had a lid with no air lock, should I put the lid on this while waiting?

When I do the racking from fermention to bucket I leave all the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter but when bottling I like to leave it a while til it settles down as well..

Thanx
SD :)

Yes, it is ok to leave it for an hour. The yeast will immediately start working on your priming sugar. There is the risk of some oxygenation happening.

In an ideal world, we would not expose our finished beer to oxygen when racking, bottling etc.

In the real world, every time we open the lid, oxygen gets in and starts transferring at the surface. It is impossible with standard homebrew gear to avoid oxygen exposure. This is why some people ferment in kegs, and push around with CO2.

If you do an ok job of racking, leaving most of the grunge behind in the fermenter, there should be very little left to settle, it certainly won't settle after just an hour. But, we must all do what we feel is right for our beer.

Gday SD,

what works for me is after I rack to bulk priming bucket I take my fermenter and give it a rinse out then fill it up for a soak with water and bleach. This takes about 10mins then back to bottle. After I have bottled the fermenter is ready to clean and rinse.........then clean the priming bucket.........(gotta get into kegging :rolleyes: ) all up about 2hrs work!

cheers-Russ

fishard said:
Gday SD,

what works for me is after I rack to bulk priming bucket I take my fermenter and give it a rinse out then fill it up for a soak with water and bleach. This takes about 10mins then back to bottle. After I have bottled the fermenter is ready to clean and rinse.........then clean the priming bucket.........(gotta get into kegging :rolleyes: ) all up about 2hrs work!

cheers-Russ
Thanks guys, will do as you said fishard, rack, clean, bottle, then clean again.

XMAS present to myself is a keg system, bottling sux..

CHEERS

Back