Bulk Priming - How Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am new to brewing and this forum. My first brew is down and only days away from bottling. My plans are to bulk prime to a bottling bucket prior to bottling as I have a number of different size bottles and thought this would give a more consistant carbonation level.
I'm interested to know what is best to carbonate. Sugar, dextrose, caster sugar? What is best?
Also, how much should be added to a 23L brew to add just the right (and not too much) fizz?

I tend to try and hit 5g/l for the ideal rate of carb (115g for 23l). I find any higher gets to be too much for me, any lower is a bit flat.

Having used just about everything to carb up I've returned to using nothing but plain old white sugar. The only time there is a difference in my experience is if you've over carbed it OR used too much sugar in the brew leaving it a bit thin and it turns out a bit like sift drink. K&K I'd recommend Dextrose as it does go some way to overcoming that little problem.

I tend to agree with RK. Although some people find my beers a little flat, I tend to hover between 4 - 5.5gms per L. I still use dextrose to bulk prime. At this rate some beers can take 6-8 weeks to carb nicely (late November in Ballarat and its still 4c overnight), others seem to be good a bit earlier. Personally nothing gives me the irrates more than an overcarbonated beer...after all that effort you have something that is borderline on acting like its infected and tastes like soft drink with all the carbon bubbles tickling your nose. Just my opinion for what its worth (probably very little).

Yep me too.

typically a 20l batch (i keg most beers) but when i do bottle i use 100/110g per batch. Usually plain white sugar too, although i have also had equal results using dextrose and castor sugar too. Used to use dextrose, but the little amount in each bottle doesn't make much (any) difference to my palate, so i save a little coin by using white sugar.

+1 to overcarbonated beer giving me the shits.

The guy at QHBS told me not to use dextrose for bulk priming. Something about it taking longer from memory. Of course it will still work though. He recommended plain sugar for bulk priming.

I always use this calculator: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

It gives a good idea of what level of carb different types of beers should use too.

Latest posts

Back