Bulk Priming For First Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERBOY

Reaction score
Hi Boys, well i have finally got myself a second fermenter and a m about to give bulk priming a go. So how much dextrose will i need for a whisker under 23 litres. I have been told everything from 150g up to 200g. I thought it was simply 6g X 30 bottles = 180g + 10% for dextrose. That would make close enought to 200g.
Please advise

Beerboy

Alot depends upon style.
Eg English ales and bitters get less carbonation than wheat beers etc...

Let me know what the style is and we be better able to advise.

...and your OG and FG.

My rule o' thumb for priming with dextrose is 9g per litre, so for 23 litres, allow a litre lost to trub and add half a litre to dissolve the dextrose, so

22.5x9=202.5g.

Vary upwards and downwards according to your style.

I've been considering bulk priming with honey for my cider brew, same rule of thumb? or more or less?

pr1me said:
I've been considering bulk priming with honey for my cider brew, same rule of thumb? or more or less?
You probably shouldn't prime with honey unless you know the fermentability of the batch you're using. Also, honey will have wax compounds and stuff in it that will end up in the bottles...

I've never brewed with honey tho, so I'm talking from my butt.

well ive seen a few places that say you can prime with honey, including grumpys bulk priming handouts, but they just dont talk about amounts :-(

maybe its a matter of how refined the honey is.

OK fellas it is a Morgans Stockmans Draught with 1.5Kg extra pale malt,OG WAS 1039 and it is down to about 1010

Grumpys Brew Analyser http://www.grumpys.com.au/brew_analyser.php3 recommends 180g of white sugar. My rule o' thumb for white sugar is 8g per litre. Dividing 180g by 8 gives 22.5, so that indicates that 8g is Grumpy's rule also. So yeah, if using dextrose and your "finished beer" volume, ie what is in your bottling bucket, is 22.5 litres then I'll stand by my 202.5g of dextrose, 180g of white sugar or 247.5g of DME.

Back