Bulk Priming Cooper's Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernography

Reaction score
Aloha,

My second brew is just ready to bottle, this time round I want to bulk prime it as I wasn't happy with the inconsistent sludginess of my first brew. I'd rather have all the beer mediocre ;P

I've looked at some calculators and googed it but frankly I don't quite understand how to get it right, can someone more experienced please point me in the direction of a foolproof SG temperature scale and sugar chart?

The OG was 1048@16 degrees and the FG was 1008@18 degrees. I want the final alc % to be 5 or 6 percent.

Very happy with the coopers kit compared to the beermaker's. It's almost good enough to drink straight out of the fermenter but it's VERY fizzy. Takes about 10min to settle into the test tube, is this something I should consider when bottling?

Thanks

I make the ABV 5.25% without adjusting for temp but your hydrometer will be calibrated for either 15C or 20C and seing as the two readings were only 2 from each other I believe it won't make that much difference. The formula I use is (SG-FG)*1.3125 = Alcohol by Volume. As far as bulk priming goes, I've only done it once so I'm probably not the best person to be advising. I think Tony has left decent charts in a couple of threads.

I never use calcuations myself. Usually, I just bulk prime with 3/4 cup (180g) of dextrose or sucrose boiled in an equal volume of water for a 23L batch of beer. This gives a high, but safe level, of carbonation and seems to work well every time I have done it - provided that primary fermentation has actually finished. If priming with dried malt extract I use 1 and 1/4 cups boiled in an eqaul volume of water.

Most brewers and brew calculators say that this is too much, but the home brew guru Charlie Papiazan recommends the same amount for 19L batches - so I think we're well within safety limits. And from experience, this seems to be the case as I have never had a gusher or explosion since I started using the aforementioned measurements.

hi i use this table ...from grumpys ...
Final Gravity Grams
1006-1008 180
1008-1010 160
1010-1014 140
1014-1018 120
1019-1025 100

link is below ...
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=13

it works for me...as for
experienced please point me in the direction of a foolproof SG temperature scale and sugar chart?
...assuming you've got a hydrometre calibrated to 20/c i'm with the above posts ...it'll be bugger all diffrence at 18/c..

as for
Very happy with the coopers kit compared to the beermaker's. It's almost good enough to drink straight out of the fermenter but it's VERY fizzy. Takes about 10min to settle into the test tube, is this something I should consider when bottling?

mines always pretty well fizzy at this stage of the game...but heres a tip i learned from this very site...when taking your hydroreading decant it into a glass and pour it back and forth between another for a few times till most of the bubbles and froth dissapate then take your hydro reading...

also was this made with a true lager yeast ?...if so did you give it a dialatic rest...? just wondering is all
cheers simpletotoro

Back