Bulk Priming Amount After Cold Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
I'm bottling an APA that has been cold conditioned at 4 degrees C for the past week. Fermentation temperature was 18 degrees C. There is 23L to be bottled. I have a desired carbonation level of 2.5 volumes of CO2.

A search of the forums has shown suggestions bulk priming amounts should be calculated from the highest temperature reached during fermentation.
But one of the two bulk priming calculators I use, suggests it should be the beer temperature at bottling.

Bulk priming calculator suggesting use of bottling temperature.

The other bulk priming calculator I use.

Conflicting information.

Using dextrose the difference between bulk priming on the calculators at 4 degrees C and 18 degrees C is 94 grams vs 147 grams. This will make a huge difference to my beer.

Does any one have a definitive answer on this ???

Thanks

It should be calculated at 18C.

The basic theory is that at the higher temp, more CO2 will come out of solution. So it has been at 18C, you only have X volumes of CO2 left in the beer.
When you subsequently drop to 4C, the CO2 doesn't get re-absorbed, it has already escaped into the atmosphere.
So you need to add more priming sugar to get your CO2 volume up to 2.5 times. 147g sounds about right.

Agree with mikec.

You should use the highest temperature the beer has been at for say 2 hours since fermentation finished. So if fermented at 18C then cold conditioned use value for 18C.

cheers

Ian

It should be calculated at 18C.

The basic theory is that at the higher temp, more CO2 will come out of solution. So it has been at 18C, you only have X volumes of CO2 left in the beer.
When you subsequently drop to 4C, the CO2 doesn't get re-absorbed, it has already escaped into the atmosphere.
So you need to add more priming sugar to get your CO2 volume up to 2.5 times. 147g sounds about right.

Agree with mikec.

You should use the highest temperature the beer has been at for say 2 hours since fermentation finished. So if fermented at 18C then cold conditioned use value for 18C.

cheers

Ian

Thanks both for the quick replies. Mikec your explanation makes complete sense.

I too have been confused by this and read conflicting information.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Mikec is correct, and has basically given an abridged version of the article located here

It's amazing how many answers to common questions are in the articles section..... ;)

Common ???

'Common' - Adjective - Definition: Occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.

I have never seen this question asked. In fact nor was I able to locate the question being asked historically via the search function? So how do you see it as a common question ?

Being helpful is always appreciated. But no one likes a smart arse. Your first paragraph is helpfull. :D . Your second paragraph is being a smart arse :blink: .

most definitely 18 degrees, if it wasn't then I would have had some seriously f$%&#n fizzy beers by now. I bottle around 2.6 with 18 as my temp and they come out perfect.

Common ???

'Common' - Adjective - Definition: Occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.

I have never seen this question asked. In fact nor was I able to locate the question being asked historically via the search function? So how do you see it as a common question ?

Being helpful is always appreciated. But no one likes a smart arse. Your first paragraph is helpfull. :D . Your second paragraph is being a smart arse :blink: .

Mike wrote that article (as far as I understand) years ago and many others like it. That's pretty helpful.

He then linked you to it (also helpful).

It's certainly not an uncommon question.

I'm not the 'do a fkn search guy' and I hope never to be but the articles section does seem to be under-utilised and Mike has contributed a lot (albeit under another name) by answering many, many questions multiple times.

Mike wrote that article (as far as I understand) years ago and many others like it. That's pretty helpful.

He then linked you to it (also helpful).

It's certainly not an uncommon question.

I'm not the 'do a fkn search guy' and I hope never to be but the articles section does seem to be under-utilised and Mike has contributed a lot (albeit under another name) by answering many, many questions multiple times.

100 percent agree with you. It is very helpful and explains the process well. I'm sure the bloke has contributed over and above to this forum.

Still he shouldn't be a smart arse!

Still he shouldn't be a smart arse!

dude, take a chill pill.

I stand by my previous statement. Pretty much all the articles were written to address common questions, not just this one.

And throwing in a dictionary definition of 'common' is not being a smartarse?

If I was a smartarse, I could mention that if you use the site search google function, with the keywords 'bulk priming calculator', you will see that it is common. I only looked at the first seven hits....and out of those seven hits, five of them had the question of temperature asked and answered directly. The sixth link had a comment alluding to temperature used in the calculator being a possible factor. If I was a smartarse, I could mention that six out of seven would indicate the topic to be common.....

But I'm not a smartarse. So I won't mention it.
:rolleyes:

Conflicting information.

Does any one have a definitive answer on this ???

Thanks

You come to a forum for a 'definitive answer' then call someone a smart ass for pointing out how to find a 'definitive answer',
just to clear things up, 1 carb drop per stubbie, 2 per longneck..or tallie...wouldnt want to confuse or offend anybody.

Enough said, I'm not entering into a debate with you, because your a smart arse and a know it all.

That is as clear as day and evident from your first post in this thread.

Enough said. I'm not entering into a debate with you, because you're a smart arse, and a know-it-all.(hyphenation not required, but is common in this context. Please refer to the previously posted definition of 'common').

That is as clear as day, and evident from your first post in this thread.

--------------------
Beer; Its the best damn drink in the world.

Corrections made, in red, and with underline. Because I'm a smart arse, and a know-it-all.
:ph34r:

You're comma's are all-wrong {accept the "in red" ones <but parenthesis may have been more appropraite here>}.

You're comma's are all-wrong {accept the "in red" ones <but parenthesis may have been more appropraite here>}.
:lol:

Try to do a mitzvah for a schmuck, and get bitten in the tukhas. :p

Hahaha. Just found this thread while looking for an answer to the question: "If I cold condition, should I adjust my bulk priming calculations? By how much?".

Thank you for the links and the answers but more so, thank you for the light entertainment :)

PS new forum rules!

Rather than start a new topic like I would usually do, I'll utilise this.

Does volume of co2 affect final abv% especially when bulk priming.

If bulk priming a lager and I did a d-rest, do I then calculate the bulk priming off the d-rest temperature?

And also, what is the basic principle behind different amounts of carbonation?

bum said:
You're comma's are all-wrong {except the "in red" ones <but parenthesis may have been more appropriate here>}.
Sorry, felt like being a smartase too! :p

Back