Bulk Primed With No Bottle Caps!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Just bulk primed a pilsener with 150gms dextrose and then realised I dont have any bloody caps to bottle. Will it be ok to leave until tomorrow lunch before I can bottle? :angry:
Cheers
Steve

I'd leave it for a bit longer to eat up that sugar, then prime again.

If you want to pop down to Adelaide I have a bag of 1000 and could sparea few ;)

How long Kai - 3 days?

I dunno, Steve. I don't really know how long it would take the yeast to chew up the priming sugar, or how long it would take for the yeast to actually start work.

What's it in now? If it's showing signs of active fermention tomorrow when you come to bottle it, it might be worth letting it ferment out and starting again, but if not I'd go ahead and bottle. What's the worst that can happen?

Steve, I only just noticed you are in Canberra.

You could just run to the local Coles or Woolworths for some...or if that is an issue for some reason (maybe tomorrow is payday) I can fix you up if you're in my area :)

PZ.

Thanks all - went to two Woolies last night and they didnt have any. Will go to LHBS at lunch and bottle at lunch. Suck it n see!
Cheers
Steve

turns out I had 27 caps in the end! only looked like about 10 BUT I didnt count them last night. :angry:
bottled first thing this morning - she'll be right :blink:
Cheers
Steve

Steve,
Don't you hate it when things like this happen. There I was, bottles sanitised, just about to bulk prime, find that all caps are missing. 7yr old SWMBO thought the caps made great play money in her cubby house!!! I did a quick trip to Col's HBS and dropped into Woolies to get a nset of cheap play moneyon the way home!

I was a tad annoyed to say the least. Tis good. (hopefully)

how much dextrose is to much for bulk primming. I am using 200gms to 23lts and the head is amazing. Is there a guide for how much dextrose to use

macca john said:
how much dextrose is to much for bulk primming. I am using 200gms to 23lts and the head is amazing. Is there a guide for how much dextrose to use
[post="77836"][/post]​

I use the calculators in beersmith or promash. However if you don't have access to either of those there is a guide on bulk priming on the grumpy's site.

Grumpy's Brewers Manual

Back