Bulk Primed Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
I think I might have stuffed my brew.

I mistakenly opened a bottle on saturday, thinking it was another brew.

it is a lager that has been in the bottle for 3 weeks.
I chilled it in the fridge for a day before opening.

when I opened it there was a loud hiss from the pressure release, then it started frothing out of the bottle, I managed ti fill a glass with foam, then capped the bottle with stopper. after the foam in the glass subsided i was left with about half a glass of beer. when I tasted it it was still sweet.

being a lager, at current melbourne room temps ( low to mid teens) it obviously still hasn't finished fermenting the priming charge.

when I bottled, it had finished fermenting with a f.g. of 1010. I think I primed about 22 litres with about 200 g's of dextrose.

given my experience above have I created a batch of bottle bombs ?

do people think I should recap this brew ?

is recapping as simple as opening bottle, and quickly recapping with a new top? is it possible to avoid the foaming overflow ?

cheers
Moray

Hi Moray,
When you bulk primed, did you very gently mix the racked wort before you bottled so as to thoroughly circulate the dextrose through the brew?

Sometimes, and especially if you didn't mix the priming dextrose with some boiled water beforehand, you may have all the priming dextrose lurking around the bottom of the racking bin.

Which means that the first couple of bottles are chockers with dextrose and the last few have bugger all! :blink:

Beers,

Rowan

On a semi related note, i found out the other day that the calculations i made for my bottling bucket, do not allow for 22L of beer + .5L of priming sugar/water... and that i should not bottle over carpet...

Moray,

Don't you reckon you should chill the whole lot on ice for a couple of hours then take caps off and leave them off for 5 mins or so then recap? I would.

when I bulk primed, I disolved the sugar in about .5l of boiling water, placed into the bottling bucket (primary fermenter) then racked the secondary onto it, and left it for about an hour before bottling.

i think you have bottled early i leave my largers an the yeast cake for a week of it had fermented out then i larger it

Back