Bulk prime with DME question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
I was thinking of bulk priming with some DME I hve in the fridge. When I ran it through the priming calculater it came out almost double what I would normally use if using cane sugar.
EG. 24lts @ 2.2 vols, 18.5C, = 119gms cane sugar, 227gms DME70 AA, 212gms DME 75AA.
Are these volumes right and what is AA?
I use Aussie Home Brewing . com calculater.

AA in this instance is likely apparent attenuation.
You definitely need more. Double surprises me though.

I used to use beer recipator but the link is defunct. Brewers friend tells me around 185g for 2.2 vol, 18.5 deg, 24 L.

Thanks mate, Why are these numbers so different between calculators?
When I started measuring out the DME it was a large pile even at half the total quantity so I put it back and went for the sugar. My brain cell could handle a number like 185gms.

Only reason for the difference I can fathom, is a different way of working out residual co2. Try 3-4 calculators and either go for the common figure or a median or mean.

Edit:

I just ran the numbers through my calculator and I think the sucrose calculation on Aussie Home Brewer is incorrect. Using your figures I get 142g sucrose and 220 g DME at 68% by weight fermentable extract.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back