Bulk Idophor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Just trying to do some cost saving. Does anyone know where you can buy this in bulk. (ie. Missing the HBS and gowing straight to the supplier :eek: )

I cant believe that HBS buy it for any where near what we pay for it. ]

Sorry HBS owners. But i'm looking after number one! :D

Yep Wedge. I've done it on the cheap and bought iodophor in bulk.

The product you are looking for is "Alfa Laval Agri LF12 Milking Machine Sanitiser" (Might be F-12, instead of LF-12 can't quite remember). You can buy it as a 25L cube for about $125 (=$5 per litre). Therefore you really need to find a few blokes to go in with you on a cube. From my experience this is the smallest container you can buy it in. We asked around all the rural suplies places and ended up finding some in Devonport (Tassie) but the name of the place escapes me (this is pretty much a one off purchase of sanitiser, you won't be buying much more after this :D, could even last the rest of your homebrewing career). It lasts for ages.

Anyway, if you search around a few agricultural supplies places or dairy specific places you'll find some. Or alternatively if you know any dairy farmers then you could ask them if they have and around that they are willing to part with (this is actually where we go ours in the end, my old mans mate had some he was willing to give us so we each got a litre and a half, but now I'm kind of wishing we'd got the full 5L each anyway).

So if you can split one up with a few blokes this is definitely the way to go. Your going to use it trust me. Iodophor is great stuff, fantastic sterilizer. Use at 12ppm (0.7ml per litre) with a 2 min contact time at this concentration.

Cheers and good luck

Justin

The best I've found in the west is at a place called:

Bio-John Pty Ltd
13 Camden St
Belmont
Perth

Its not Iodophor (tm) but Betadine(a pure source of iodine) - better IMO

Cost $11 for 500ml bottles (1/2 what I'm paying at HBS)

Asher for now

PS - Its a horse/vet supply type shop. They sell rice hulls too and also a great place if your looking for whips or strops for whatever purpose...

;-)

Asher said:
Asher for now

PS - Its a horse/vet supply type shop. They sell rice hulls too and also a great place if your looking for whips or strops for whatever purpose...

;-)
Is the strop to stir the wort in the kettle....

and the whip to whip it up for aeration......... :lol:

I think i will RDWAHAHB...

GMK................you need to get out of the house more!!!!

STOP TOUCHING!!!!!

GMK said:
Asher said:
Asher for now

;-)
Is the strop to stir the wort in the kettle....

and the whip to whip it up for aeration......... :lol:

I think i will RDWAHAHB...
GMK,
If you need some whips and strops, I know of some places in Fyshwick and Mitchell that have them!

Mind you, I've never thrashed a wort with a mink whip before! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TL

Asher,

For what its worth, TWOC in Bibra Lake sells 250ml bottles of Grumpys One Shot for $6.50, so I see your point about price.

I've also recently tried the MSB No Rinse steriliser which comes in 25g sachets. It's described as "oxygen activated mineral crystals (sodium percarbonate).

The instructions are a bit ambivalent, as they seem to recommend using one sachet to sterilise the fermenter and another for the bottles (at $1.95 a time).

Seems to work OK, but probably a bit pricey in the long run.

$6.50 for a solution is crap. Its got to be cheaper in bulk

$2.50 a litre!!!!

gday all . esp bibtracker.

My cleaning routine relies heavily on an Iodine based sanitiser for my kegs. I leave them 1/2 full of diluted solution when stored. Then empty this into a bucket to sterilise all my racking hoses etc on kegging day. No HB shops in WA stock Iodophor anymore (Malthouse used to have it).

I also have a spray bottle of Iodophor/betadine handy which I use on all sorts of bits and pieces.... cuts/scratches too!

I use good old bleach on plastics and Napisan (sodium percarbonate) (actually the no-name brand is 1/2 the price and twice as strong) to soak & clean out stubborn yeast from my kegs.

Bibtracker? I'm too a keen bushwalker. My g/f & I are currently walking the bibbulmun track in sections end to end and have made it to collie so far.... Maybe we'll bump into each other at a hut some time.... I usually manage to squeeze a Belgian strong ale or two into my pack ;-)

Asher for now

Take great care with beatdine solutions, even though not listed they contain small quantities of surfactants

If anyone in Perth wants to buy bulk and split it between a few of us , well I am interested

SURFACTANT stands for SURFace ACTive AgeNT. Both detergents and soaps are classed as surfactants.

Wether these affect the beer in any way I'm not sure. But in the amount/dilutions I'm using I doubt it. I've also heard surfactants are used in megaswill to increae head retention....... ;-)

Bats - If you can locate a bulk source better than what I've listed above, I'll take a few litres....

Asher for now...

Very difficult your me to source anything like that living up here , it would be much easier for one of the city dwellers

I'll keep my ear to the ground....

I've been on the hunt for a year or so but haven't had any luck. I'm sure the collective whole here will find something.....

Asher for now

Sounds to me like we need to talk to a dairy farmer

Any dairy farmers out there ??

I wouldn't leave home without my surfactants. I mix with pure sodium percarbonate for cleaning and dilute phosphoric acid for sanitising.

Surfactants help the active agent wet hard surfaces such as stainless steel and get into cracks more effectively. I have also heard that (at least for phos acid) they help break down the cell walls of the bugs.

If you are interested I put a wiki page together on this topic at brewiki: cleaning and sanitation.

Personally I have never used Iodophor but it gets a good rap from all who use it.

As for the stock feed shop GMK, maybe you could use chook pellets for flavour and aroma.

Asher,

It would be good to see you out on the Bib Track. I have been very slack of late, preferring to brew raher than walk, but I will be out here latetr this year.
Dunno about Belgian ale, I usually take a little scotch (purely for medicinal reasonsd, of course).

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back