Bulk Grain Buy, Can't Decide What To Stock Up On

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just a quick question.

Going in the G&G Bulk grain buy coming up and I cant decide which specialty malts to bulk buy.
Im getting a bag of ale & a bag of pilsner... Thats standard.

But im wanting to save some money buy getting some of the more commonly used grains in various styles in bulk.
I've decided on a wheat malt.

Tossing up on getting a carapils & Munich 1.

Currently doing a few different types of brews, Anything from corona/golden ale/czech pilsner/euro lager/aussie ales
So dont need to worry about any choc malts etc as i dont do stouts or anything like that.

Can any of the larger scale AG guys recommend me what they normally keep in stock?

Thanks heaps

Hey All,

Just a quick question.

Going in the G&G Bulk grain buy coming up and I cant decide which specialty malts to bulk buy.
Im getting a bag of ale & a bag of pilsner... Thats standard.

But im wanting to save some money buy getting some of the more commonly used grains in various styles in bulk.
I've decided on a wheat malt.

Tossing up on getting a carapils & Munich 1.

Currently doing a few different types of brews, Anything from corona/golden ale/czech pilsner/euro lager/aussie ales
So dont need to worry about any choc malts etc as i dont do stouts or anything like that.

Can any of the larger scale AG guys recommend me what they normally keep in stock?

Thanks heaps
Munich's always good to have.

Cheers

I reckon its not a bad idea having a light or medium crystal around, but a full bag is overkill - I got half a bag in a bulk buy and it lasted me for yonks, I think it is supposed to keep longer than your base malts anyway though so no biggie.

Do you mean 'Cara' Munich or Munich?

As far as I understand, and by all means I may be as wrong as sleeping with your own sister here, but Munich is a base malt, is it not?

'CARA' munich is a a specialty...

Anyway, I went Crystal and Dark Crystal last buy and am gonna be dealing with that for the next 12 months but they are both in my house brew so thats why I went with a sack of each.. managed to split them too...

ANYWAY:

I reckon, look at what you use most and try and arrange a split.

2c

sorry just plain munic, not (cara)

Think I'll go with Wey Pils, JW Ale, Munich, wheat. Then order what i need.

sorry just plain munic, not (cara)

Think I'll go with Wey Pils, JW Ale, Munich, wheat. Then order what i need.

Nice base choice...

I brew 100L batches at a time, so 20kg on average per brew... and I can tel you, a full bag of specialty malts, unless it is your house/every second brew, is gonna be with you for a long time!

4c.

If I could only have one base malt, it'd be Weyermann's Pilsner. Best. Malt. Evar.

I keep BB ale, wheat and munich II on hand at all times. Munich is my favourite* malt but i've never used it as a full base malt before... unitl tonight :)

*well bb ale probably is because its such a good base.

Carapils is a waste of time in most Ag brews, IMO...

Why Pennywise? Genuinely curious, I sometimes add 5% to a recipe in the belief that it'll aid with body if I think it's necessary.

Wraith

I've only been going a few months, but have full bags of Ale, Pilsener, Caramalt, Munich1, wheat malt. I have half bags of Rye malt and German wheat malt, i'll be buying a full bag of rye when i run out.

The only one that's not seeing much use lately is the caramalt (although i used some in the Mongoose last week), i'll have to fix that.

I'd definately reccomend the Munich1 if you like the Smurtos recipe. I also use it in my rye beer and some others.

Bairds Perle Ale Malt - it's the base for the majority of my beers, and works across so many styles - in fact anything that doesn't absolutely require a pils malt.

Goomba

Why Pennywise? Genuinely curious, I sometimes add 5% to a recipe in the belief that it'll aid with body if I think it's necessary.

Wraith

I've only done about 30-40 AG brews but if I wanted more body or dextrine I'd up the mash temp before adding it. I guess carapils would help (my) big alcohol brews where the alcohol kills the head, but I don't know because I haven't gone there yet. Just seems a waste in most instances to me. I know a few people use it so maybe they could enlighten me as to why and in what styles they think it necessary.

I got 25kg sacks of Golden Preomise, Marris otter, BB ale, wey pils, boh pils, munich 1, wheat, then I just bought 5kg bags of heaps of different spec malts. New to AG but now I got a 50L Braumeister the malt seems to get used a lot quicker with double batches.
I remember reading that munich is less convertable than other base malts if your useing 80% or more in the grist. I see a lot of recipes with light crystal and medium crystal in them so I got both of those. I like Rye as well, makes stouts really thick.
The best thing IMO to do is think about what style you like most, find some recipes and they will most likely have the same type of spec malts then hopefully you'll be able to decide on what you want. I like Porters and stouts so I ended up with heaps of spec malts and adjunct. I like a lot of other styles as well so now I can choose a wide variety of recipes and just go make it because I have heaps of different spec malts.
Cheers :icon_cheers:

My advise would be to get base malts only and buy your spec malts by the kilo

Wheat, ale, pils, Munich.

Tossing up on getting some Vienna as well

I always buy 25kg bags of wheat, bo pils and ale. everything else in 1kg bags. crystal is always good for ales...

Best wheat and pils malts are IMO weyermann, you really do get a better product with these, although for me the best pale/ale malt is BB or JW. Bairds are too expensive for too little differentiation. Just my 2 cents worth...

Sorry about heading off at a tangent, but I can't find the topic for bulk buy - has the list been kicked off yet?
Thanks
Mark

In the bulk buys subsection or just go straight to the spreadsheet by clicking the link in my signature. You have till 25 November to finalise an order and roughly a week after that to pay for the grain.

Pick up is at GG on 10th Dec.

Back