Bulk grain buy (60kg) Bulk hop buy (1kg) please help with recipes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_1182

Reaction score
Hi every one.

Today i called in to cheeky peak in Albury and made a bulk purchase, i am looking for anyone's ones input for recipe ideas as i am only used my making pre-packed all gain beers and basic smash beer (about 10 brews).

below is a list of what i have on hand.

Grains:

Best Pilsener X 25 KG
Marris Otter X 25 KG
Roast X 1KG
Choc X 1KG
Light Crystal X 1KG
Med Crystal X 1KG
Dark crystal X 1KG
Carapils X 1KG
Wheat X 4KG

Hops:
E.K.G 200G
Cascade 200G
Amarillo 200G
Galaxy 200G
Magnum 100G
P.O.R 100G

Yeast:
US05 X 6
M03 New Castle Dark Ale X2
M07 British Ale X2
M27 Belgain Ale X2

I am open too any and all ideas as i am willing to try about anything beer related as crazy as they may be.

Oh BTW i am brewing 20l batches in the grain father and kegging.

Hobgoblin clone
Gose
Belgian blonde
Weissbier or Weizenbock or Dunkelweizen

Recipes

Thank you.
I just purchased Beersmith2 and will be setting up a profile and getting brewing very soon. Once i learn to drive it.

Heading into winter you could put down a very decent stout too. (Stout can be more than tooheys old)

just food for thought.

check the recipe DB here and HBT go with some styles you like and dare to venture, you will surprise yourself for sure.

Option Anxiety!
I'd go the APA IPA balance for most of it.
Very Pale ales and lagers and a stout or two of your own concoctions using Beersmith styles as guidelines.
That's what I do.

All I see is Barley wine or the start of a Russian

Pretty much whatever you want, although lagers and weizens might be a struggle without additional yeasts. It really depends on what you like to drink, or want to try drinking.

If it were me, I'd be going for a mix of:
- English bitter at around 4%
- various us APA / us IPA
- Belgian blond and Belgian Dubbel (1 of each)
- ESB
- Irish stout
- barley wine
- RIS

What's your favourite beer? Look for a clone recipe of it. I would suggest you brew this every second time, this will give you a beer you love all the time and will really help you refine and improve your processes by brewing the same tasty beer regularly.

Then every other batch you can experiment with different styles, you can use the BJCP style guide for inspiration.

Have fun!

depends how many kegs you have, and can maintain chilled.

For me: I like a quaffer, a strong ale, something interesting (hence the Gose) and a beer with character (APA, American wheat or Belgian Blonde).
I plan to make a few house beers, including the Dampfbier, Adelscot clone (peat-smoked ale = heresy to some people), weizen and session bitter.

Start with styles you like. If you need to familiarise yourself with beer styles, you could do worse than to jump in to a local or State case swap. It really opened my eyes to some stunning styles that I previously had little interest for.

Chuck it all in together and make 500litres of a dark IPA.

EDIT: Sorry that wasnt very helpfull. I would go simple so you can learn what each ingredient does. Do a smash, then add some crystal and or wheat to the next brew. Depends on what you want to drink.

would you say you've got somewhere around 12 brews worth or so?
and a 50/50 split of standard style yeast/more specific yeast
obviously doing some stronger stuff will require more yeast as would a lager if fermented cool
i'd be punching out 30% of that grain bill with my favourite style and mixing up the other 70% with the relevant yeasts/malt/hops

purely for personal reasons I'd be kicking off with an apa, then doing two other styles then back to an apa just so I could have that favourite beer staggered throughout the brews, which would be my constant

good luck
ps it can be tempting when you have bulk quantities to "use it up" when you might not have the exact ingredients for a brew, imho it's fraught with danger and most beers I've done to "use stuff up" have been out of style and a bit weird - just a heads up that's all

Have you got a copy of brewing classic styles? If not it's well worth the outlay. It gives a good run down on the BJCP styles, and a few recipes for each style as well.

I have a copy, and although I rarely use the recipes, I do use them to guide my beers (especially if it is a style I am less familiar with). I found it a great starting point when I was beginning to formulate my own recipes, or a great source of recipes when I needed one.

JD

Back