Bulk Camden before "champagne"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollos

Reaction score
just about to bottle a 5 litre batch of fruit wine. I am intending on bottling most still and a couple of bottles of sparkling. My question is,
-Should I treat the 5 litres of wine with a campden, bottle the still, wait 24 hours, then add some yeast and sugar syrup to the remaining and bottle for sparking... or
- separate into two batches, campden the still, and prime and pitch the sparking, and bottle both at once?

Is the any benefit or detriment to sulphiting the sparkling batch that final time?

Also... as I am straining while I bottle (mostly due to campden tablet residue) I have just been pouring from carboy into bottles... is there any real detriment to this as compared to siphoning? It might be a little more splashy... but sure seems easier that having to start and stop a siphon... and, dont have to rope my Mrs into it.

One final question, and it is out of interest as it really it too late to do anything about it... I am using the novatrist style caps... when I bottled last night, I sat in no-rinse and then, because I am still uneasy with the no-rinse concept, I rinsed the caps in water, and then capped. After all of this, I then became concerned about water being trapped between the rim and the cap and it being a potential source of contamination... paranoid I know, just the unknown for me I guess.. Any thoughts on that?

first off whats the alcohol % of said wine. that would dictate what i do with it.
if its around the 12-15 id be inclined to camden then wait and then bottle with the sparkling getting a sugar solution and fresh yeast added.

id syphon personally less splashing the better it will introduce oxygen reducing the life of the product.
stick a bottling wand in to the end of the tube and go from there

no rinse is fine so long as you have the concentrations right, although by rinsing you have negated the sanitation. its then only as clean as the water you have used to rinse with. have you seen what the fish do in it?

I was hoping that the campden would be actively protecting the brew from oxidisation, making the pouring less of an issue at that stage. I understand your point about the sanitiser. It is an acidic/ bubbly one that the brew shop makes..they said it was the same as starsan... just not convinced I want that in my wine :)

wine should be within that range. Thanks for the advice.

the camden tablets are more of a stabiliser than anti oxidising agent.
how high is your dosage? i use to use 1/2 a tablet to 5L and never had any residue left over. i found if you cut them and then crush they dissolve easier.

Latest posts

Back