Bulk buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Markbeer

Reaction score
I
I just keep using hops until they run out. Is that bad? Obviously big hops lose their aroma over time, but I tend to move my oldest hops to the bittering addition.

I revac and reseal, but if it hasn't given what I want then I won't use them again.

I used to buy too much.

Good point about using for bittering.

Garfield

Reaction score
I

I revac and reseal, but if it hasn't given what I want then I won't use them again.

I used to buy too much.

Good point about using for bittering.
I suppose they'll lose their bittering potential over time as well. Don't know how you would account for this though

Markbeer

Reaction score
I suppose they'll lose their bittering potential over time as well. Don't know how you would account for this though

There are online calculators that do this when you put in the age and the loss of alpha acids.

peter hammett

Peterhobit
Reaction score
Hi, just had a quick read and I will be very interested in grain. Base malt will be a good start for me, what roughly is a sack costing? or is that price about to be advertised?

Markbeer

Reaction score
Speaking of grains, just cracked my first brew done with Voyager atlas.

I am impressed. Maybe my new favourite base grain.

Brown malt from gladfield is definitely my favourite spec malt though.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
Hi, just had a quick read and I will be very interested in grain. Base malt will be a good start for me, what roughly is a sack costing? or is that price about to be advertised?

It's usually around the $40-$50 for a sack of base malt and can be up to $100 for certain specialty malts. We split base malt in 1/2 and specialty malt in 1/4.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
Speaking of grains, just cracked my first brew done with Voyager atlas.

I am impressed. Maybe my new favourite base grain.

I really like it. I did an adjunct lager with it, putting it on to ferment this weekend.

peter hammett

Peterhobit
Reaction score
It's usually around the $40-$50 for a sack of base malt and can be up to $100 for certain specialty malts. We split base malt in 1/2 and specialty malt in 1/4.
OK need you to explain split in half base malt?, I assume that means the group buy lets you buy 1/2 sacks but can buy full 25kg sacks? I was hoping I would be able to get a couple of sacks (up to 4?) when it comes time to order, is that the spirit of the process (eg specialty = anything from full sacks down to 6 kg lots) cheers.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
OK need you to explain split in half base malt?, I assume that means the group buy lets you buy 1/2 sacks but can buy full 25kg sacks? I was hoping I would be able to get a couple of sacks (up to 4?) when it comes time to order, is that the spirit of the process (eg specialty = anything from full sacks down to 6 kg lots) cheers.

There is no limit! You can buy 20 full sacks should your heart desire.

Minimums are 1/2 a sack (which you would split with another brewer) for base malt and 1/4 for speciality malts.

contrarian

Reaction score
The only caveat would be that for shipping to work we need to make up full pallets which are 40 sacks. Last time we got one and a half and a local brewery took the rest but full pallets is the goal!