BULK BUY - Vittle Vault 27kg Grain Storage Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKBrews

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We're trying to find a house to buy here in Sunny Brisbane and whatever we decide on, I'm going to build myself a nice little brewery either in the undercroft or in an outdoor shed. For that reason, I've been looking at better options than my current old steel juice transport barrel. I have considered the grainary's from Keg King as a decent option, but in terms of minimising space usage, the Vittle Vault is the best answer by far as they are relatively small and can be stacked.

This is VERY early days, but I have contacted the parent company in the US (Petmate), to find out whether a bulk purchase of a single product would be feasible. They have indicated it can be done, but the order quantity is relatively high. I have not gone as far as working out whether the quoted costs as yet include the container and shipping (highly unlikely), and we'd then need to factor in import duties etc. Of course, there will also be additional local shipping charges and it's a bulky item, but as facilitator it would make sense to have it arrive to me in Brisbane.

I am specifically looking at the Gamma2 Vittle Vault Outback Stackable 60lbs (code 4360 - page 8 pmspecialtycatalog) which will hold a 25kg sack of grain per unit. The regular price per unit wholesale is $29 USD (currently about $37.50 AUD). A full container would be 600 units and they could do a better price for an order this large (I doubt we'd ever get there), but they can also ship a minimum order of 240 units and the container would only be half full (and therefore may not work out cost effective at all).

So before I do any more leg work, I want to know who would be interested? It will be a massive undertaking if it goes ahead, but I kind of like the challenge. We would have to run it as a pre-sale for it to work, so you might be required to part with your money for a considerable amount of time before any product is landed and makes its way to you.

To register your interest, please provide the following details:

- Number of units required
- Max price per unit willing to pay
- Australian location
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait (Y/N)?

Might not go anywhere, but may as well at least explore! I normally keep 3-4 base malt sacks on hand, so am interested in 4 myself. If everyone's in the same boat, we only need 60 people to meet the minimum order.

- Number of units required: 6
- Max price per unit willing to pay $50.00
- Australian location: Sunshine Coast
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait (Y/N)? Y

- Number of units required: 4
- Max price per unit willing to pay: $40
- Australian location: Belgrave, Victoria
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait (Y/N)? N (But Y at a stretch depending on likelihood of happening

You should also open this up to other areas... I can't see why this shouldn't be allowed considering the impact it has on this site.

- Number of units required: 4
- Max price per unit willing to pay: $40
- Australian location: Belgrave, Victoria
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait (Y/N)? N (But Y at a stretch depending on likelihood of happening

You should also open this up to other areas... I can't see why this shouldn't be allowed considering the impact it has on this site.

What do you mean other areas?

By the way I think $40 per unit is going to be nearly impossible. If the standard unit price is about $37.50, and then we need to potentially factor in container shipping + import taxes and duties (and any additional costs there like dock holding fees) + national shipping etc. I would be shocked if the final price is under $60 per unit, and that would probably be a good outcome.

Even though this is a hypothetical at this stage, I won't include any "No" prepayments in the running tally, because simply put we could not get this off the ground without it - I am just interested to see what peoples thoughts are on this.

- 6-10
- $60
- Brisbane
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait - yes

Is there a half-ish size version as well? I'd be keen on some smaller ones for half sacks. If so, if they're happy to combine both in a shipment it might open up some additional interest.

Cheers,

- 6-10
- $60
- Brisbane
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait - yes

Is there a half-ish size version as well? I'd be keen on some smaller ones for half sacks. If so, if they're happy to combine both in a shipment it might open up some additional interest.

Cheers,

They do have smaller sizes, and it's something we could explore, but let's see what kind of interest we have first. I wanted to keep it relatively simple considering the potential size of the exercise, but agree that the half size would be useful. I was just planning to have the 4 full size for whole bags, and a bunch of smaller <5kg containers for anything specialty.

-$60
- Far South coast NSW
-Yes
fwiw I think the domestic shipping is going to be the biggest problem.

Agree on the shipping. Looks like we're only 210 units away from a minimum order though 😂

O

Other places on the internet. I do not wish to get banned soI can't say anymor. But if you don't understand the you don't understand
Also forgive my typing. On my phone and the app does not like my typing and I couldn't fix it. But you get the idea

I have 6 of the large ones and 2 of the smaller ones. They are quite good for grain storage. A couple of them I got free shipping on Amazon from the States. The rest from costco for like 50bucks each. I see them pretty often and you can email them and they tell you which store has them.

As grmblz said, domestic shipping is going to kill you. They're pretty big, shipping 6 to someone anywhere in Australia is not going to be cheap. Plus all the hidden costs of being a first time importer.....

This from Amazon:

Shipping & Fee Details
Price$39.95
AmazonGlobal Shipping+$541.81
Estimated Import Fees Deposit+$0.00
Total$581.76

No wonder he's the richest guy on the planet, the ridiculous shipping from the US is the same on evil bay goods, does anybody actually buy anything from there?

As I said, got them with free shipping, back before Amazon Australia started and everything tripled in price. The ones on there now are sold by third parties hence the rediculous shipping. You honestly better off waiting for costco to have them and get someone to buy them for everyone.

He's not the richest any more, Musk just cracked 185billion. Bezos only worth a measly 184billion.

This from Amazon:

Shipping & Fee Details
Price$39.95
AmazonGlobal Shipping+$541.81
Estimated Import Fees Deposit+$0.00
Total$581.76

No wonder he's the richest guy on the planet, the ridiculous shipping from the US is the same on evil bay goods, does anybody actually buy anything from there?
It's a bulky item, so it will cost plenty to ship. Best way to defray the expense is to buy other stuff you want and have it shipped inside. As you are paying for the cubic weight, the stuff inside will ship free (unless you buy lead ingots to get sent over!).

I sometimes buy stuff from OS, depends on the price after I factor in shipping, current exchange rate, etc. I bought my laptop from the USA. $630 delivered to my door, plus $5 at Dick Smith's (shows how long ago it was) for an Australian cord. Included 8 CDs/DVDs of software (full versions, with keys).

Best price in Australia was $1400, no software included beyond the OS that was installed.

OK I have figured out what everyone's talking about! I am time poor as it is, and this would be huge to do, so going to keep it to a singular spot for now.

Good to know about Costco. I think we should still go through the exercise of finding out who wants what and at what price point, and then we can assess all of the options. I am not against trying to source a bulk buy through costco and using their supply chain to get it done.

BKBrews,

I already have a few if the 60lb ones and love them.

If you have Facebook, it might pay to offer this on the Home Brewing Australia page, I would have a guess that you could get plenty of people keen on this deal

Thanks for having a go at getting this going.

- Number of units required: 6
- Max price per unit willing to pay: $AU50
- Australian location: Kiama, NSW 2533
- Prepared to pre-pay and wait (Y/N)? Y (as long as I can get a refund if it falls through, ... and nobody runs away with my money :oops:)

I think you are better at looking at something local. There is stuff at Hammerbarn that would already do the job but cheaper.
eg: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-bunker-heavy-duty-storage-tub-35l_p2583514
My local discount chain has plastic storage boxes for less and made in Australia.
Google "australian made plastic storage containers" and you might find a manufacturer that already meets your speciifcations.

I think you are better at looking at something local. There is stuff at Hammerbarn that would already do the job but cheaper.
eg: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-bunker-heavy-duty-storage-tub-35l_p2583514
My local discount chain has plastic storage boxes for less and made in Australia.
Google "australian made plastic storage containers" and you might find a manufacturer that already meets your speciifcations.
Well, that Bunnings jobby is out. Not food grade, and you can't access lower boxes in a stack without lifting the top ones off. Not saying looking local isn't a good idea, but that one doesn't meet spec.

Back