Bulk Buy - Rare Earth Magnets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I know a number of you guys are still considering buying rare earth magnets to build yourselves magnetic stirers.
My prototype is working a treat, but I need to get more magnets to make another.
The magnets that have worked best for me are the Jaycar LM1618. These retail for $14.50 each. You need two.
I have a trade account and can get them for $7.72 + GST for 5-9 and $7.11 + GST for 10+
I'm offering a bulk buy to save you guys some money, and so I don't have to pay the $11 fee for orders under $100.

So I'm looking for at least another 5 brewers (I already have me and another brewer) that want 2 of these medium sized rare earth magnets for a bulk buy.
Cost will be $7.72 + GST x 2 + postage.

Beers,
Doc

Doc this sounds expencive, i got mine for $0.40 - $0.75 cents from a magnet shop...

these are very strong and running my stirer (rare earth mag's)

Gout said:
Doc this sounds expencive, i got mine for $0.40 - $0.75 cents from a magnet shop...

[post="58401"][/post]​

Gout,

The ones I first started trialling Jaycar LM1622 were of the same price range you quote.
I found they didn't have enough grunt to drive a 50mm stir bar in a half gallon growler at any decent rotation speed without throwing the stir bar.
The bigger ones are awesome. Haven't had a problem with them at all. Piece of cake to get the stir started even through the thick bottom of the growler. I'm sure if I get a bigger flask/container they will drive my 70mm stir bar as well.

Beers,
Doc

I got some Neodymium magnets for a completely unrelated project, gausse rifle AKA rail gun, from AMF magnetics. Very helpful and their prices were really good.

http://www.amfmagnetics.com.au

Heaps on ebay

link didnt work I'm sure you can find it

There is a bloke in brisbane selling 100 for $47

ok Nice links to other magnets, but i do beleve Doc wants to know if others want to do a bulk buy, not asking if people can post links to other magnets, im sure Doc has done his homework

im interested. the pic shows some u shaped metal clip. how big is this ? could this be used to attach to fan blades ?

anyone else interested in buying stir bars ?

redbeard said:
im interested. the pic shows some u shaped metal clip. how big is this ? could this be used to attach to fan blades ?

anyone else interested in buying stir bars ?
[post="58462"][/post]​

Redbeard,

That is just the packaging so that the magnet is already stuck to something and doesn't attach itself to anything else (eg. the posties motorbike :lol: )
I glued a washer to my fan and let the magnets stick to that.

Beers,
Doc

ok, im in.

stir bars ? stir bars ? anyone else (in syd) want some ? splitting the couriers fee ($15) between 2 or 3 others be nice. probably get some erlenmier flasks as well, thou obviously a lot harder to post ...

I could be keen. If you guys are getting it soon though ie within a month, which i presume you are, i probably couldn't follow through though, as a Uni student entering the last ever exam periods, beer brewing should be the least of my focus.

Will

kungy said:
I could be keen. If you guys are getting it soon though ie within a month, which i presume you are, i probably couldn't follow through though, as a Uni student entering the last ever exam periods, beer brewing should be the least of my focus.

Will
[post="58477"][/post]​

it should be your main focus

Doc,

Have a word to Trev... Hes building several for us in the judges course. I picked up his 2lt flask and 70 mm stir bar from Livingstone today( the two items were $22 inc GST)

linz, Livingstone are ok with (warehouse) pickups ? di u ph/fax/net order them ?
rosebery is close to me, so no need for courier ....

im still willing to post some stir bars out. last chance, speak now or ..... :)

RB,

Trev rang up ordered and paid with CC over the phone yesterday. I picked up today. Order was ready from about 11.30 am today.

You can also go "over the counter" from reception, but its a half hour + wait

Your right, sorry. That statement was blasphemous. I apologise.

I could focus on brewing if only i didn't have to do a 200 level accounting test. Damn its senseless and stupid. Makes me so angry.

Will

We have

me and another brewer
ozbrewer
redbeard
kungy (tentative)

Anyone else out there want in ?
If not are you guys cool to include the split of the $11 fee for orders under $100 ?

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Gout said:

[post="58401"][/post]​

Gout,

The ones I first started trialling Jaycar LM1622 were of the same price range you quote.
I found they didn't have enough grunt to drive a 50mm stir bar in a half gallon growler at any decent rotation speed without throwing the stir bar.
The bigger ones are awesome. Haven't had a problem with them at all. Piece of cake to get the stir started even through the thick bottom of the growler. I'm sure if I get a bigger flask/container they will drive my 70mm stir bar as well.
[post="58410"][/post]​
Alpha magnetics have a full range, bigger ones cost maybe $2. In anycase, they work for me in a 2L flask with 60mm stirbar - there is a possibility they are better quality than the Jaycar ones.

cheers

I am interested but the feedback from the Jacar magnets is they might not be powerful enough to drive larger stir bars. Where are alfa magnets, amf magnets look ok, but they want to charge like 15.00 for delivery so maybe cutting that cost could be an advantage

How about something like this
http://www.aussiemagnets.com.au/Merchant2/...=RareEarthDiscs

prices seem to be okay not sure about quality it just says rare earth magnet

Back