Bulk Buy Hot Water Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
I am looking at heating my water for my AG setup. I am thinking that a bulk buy on heating elements may be the way to go. but before I go to any effort to find out prices etc I wanted to see if anyone was interested.

here is the website f the place im going to check with., nice looking catalogue (but no prices)

http://www.grimwoodheating.com.au/r111www/.../Section8-1.pdf

I am looking at heating my water for my AG setup. I am thinking that a bulk buy on heating elements may be the way to go. but before I go to any effort to find out prices etc I wanted to see if anyone was interested.

here is the website f the place im going to check with., nice looking catalogue (but no prices)

http://www.grimwoodheating.com.au/r111www/.../Section8-1.pdf

Not interested in BB as I've just purchased one myself, but try Helios. I was quoted $45 for a 2400W bolt on- includes all mounting gear, etc. Sent emails out to a good 5 element suppliers (here in AUS) and Helios was by far the cheapest. Lots of elements too, and a pretty straight forward catalog available for d/l on their site.

reVox

Hey CM2. Sounds an OK idea but you may find the vast majority of people seem more at home pulling elements out of $10 BigW & Go Lo kettles from a budget price-point.

I do agree though. A quality element will serve you well for many years.

Unfortunately mine are still going great guns after 8 years. So not interested unfortunately. They are 2400 watt jobbies Grain and Grape sell. Cost me around $30 each at the time.

Warren -

Whoever you buy from make sure you get the special "alloy 825" type for hard water areas. These elements have a lower wattage density and are more suited to heating wort without scorching.

Wes

I wasnt thinking of using it for wort, just water. Im running anything by Roota69 before I buy as he's an ex boilermaker and much more knowledgable in these things than me.

Well i'll see what I can source and at what price (cause a temp control unit attached is also planned) and I'll let AHB know.

Im not in on a b/buy but just echo what Wes said about the "alloy 825" as they tend to last a bit longer.
Here is an older thread on elements including a pic of a cheap belle kettle element.
CM, stokes are just down the road from you in Heatherdale Road Ringwood.

Luke

city morgue2 , although there not temp controlled i have used elements straight out of a standard household kettle , then hooked them into a temp control unit , they go for around $10 at all dept stores , simply detach them from the kettle and all the mounting hardware is there with them and the power cord too.. get the corded kettle not the cordless if you go this option as the cord comes with the required plug this way , all you need is a round hole in whatever vessel you choose to put it in ... will send you through some pics later cm2

just looked up and saw a similar post from warrenlw63

another plus to these as well as price is that fact that if they stop working they are easily found if you a replacement , they have been using this type/style of element in kettles for years and will more than likely continue to do so ..

yeah I knew about the cheap household kettle option but am an inpatient man and wanted to be able to bring 50L of water to mash temp in under an hour, so bigger commercial elements I figured were the way to go. I'll keep looking and reading. slowly the HERMS is coming together. another few months and its AG cherry busting time. should be about the same time I can start kegging also. god im going to be a happy brewer.

I am interested interested in an element. Thinking along the lines of being able to heat 80L instead of 50 and running a temp controller too. Located in Melbourne.

I am interested interested in an element. Thinking along the lines of being able to heat 80L instead of 50 and running a temp controller too. Located in Melbourne.

:blink:

Does that mean you are really interested?

Seriously though, I bought my 2400W bolt in element locally for only $45, I dunno if there's much to be gained from a bulk buy...

Schooey where did you score that from? Seeing we come from the same area :)

There's two places , zoddy. A & A Hot Water at Warner's Bay (from memory I think he was $40 but was out of stock at the time) and there's Australian Hot Water at Cardiff, just off Pendlebury Rd, who were $45

Sweet Australian Hot Water is around the corner from my parents place, cheers mate.

yeah I knew about the cheap household kettle option but am an inpatient man and wanted to be able to bring 50L of water to mash temp in under an hour, so bigger commercial elements I figured were the way to go. I'll keep looking and reading. slowly the HERMS is coming together. another few months and its AG cherry busting time. should be about the same time I can start kegging also. god im going to be a happy brewer.

kettle elements are also 2400watts , so the same as the ones spoken about here , ive heated 25 litres of water from 20 degs to 75 degs in 22 mins

kettle elements are also 2400watts

Not all of them. They range between 1800-2400W. Just be sure to check the wattage before purchase. It will be displayed on the box or underside of jug, itself. I've generally found the $10 cheapies are 1800W, the $15-$20 are 1800W-2200W variable, and $25+ true 2400W.

reVox

just our of ineterst I asked Karl (from the March Pump Thread) if they stocked heating elements... Here's how it went

cm2 - so do you stock heating elements by any chance
K - sure do we stick mainly to pumps but have some
cm2 - (getting excited at the though of a bulkbuy and great deals) brillent im after a 3000w or better
k - hmm 15 is the smallest we have
cm2 -yeah im after bigger
k - no 15KW (15000w), so its probably a little big unless you want to burn your house down.
cm2 - oh (dissappointed and feeling like a bit of doofus)

wow a 15KW element would heat your water fast (if you didnt blow your electrics first!)

I'd maybe be intrested, keep us posted.

15000/230= 65A

:eek:

Thats some big arse wiring and plugs you're gonna need...

Even with 415 V it's in the industrial league

I think I'll stick to my 2400W, or maybe even upgrade to 3600W one day.. <_<

HI City Morgue,
I know a few guys from my club have bought elements from Stokes in Ringwood. I am looking at a 2200 or 2400 element. What are you thinking of using for your temp controller?

Yeah I'm looking at getting a 2400 watt element, but will wait for the details before I'm in.

On the subject does anyone know where i could get my hands in a 2400 watt element? don't wanna use one out of a kettle as the area it heats is too small if that makes sense. want one that will evenly heat the HLT instead of just one side.

Back