Building a Jockey Box - Tips & Advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman

Reaction score
Doing a bit of camping these days and I'd like to build a jockey box.

I've got a 68L esky which id like to fit with two taps. What is the better option to cool the beer?

- SS coil
- Aluminium chill plate
- Copper Coil

The beer will arrive cold and i can insulate it somewhat, but it will eventually reach room temperature.

I've seen other DYI builds that holds a 19L keg but I'd really like to be able to have two beers available.

With the price of SS coil i wonder if it's just better to buy 9L kegs.

Any help appreciated.

It will cost a lot more but I would definitely recommend going with a plate chiller over messing around with coils. I have tried both and you just can't beat the way the chiller plate works.

I have one of the aluminium chill plates which I used the first time on NYE. I was happy how it went. We ran close to 80L through it and the beer was nice and cold, but the kegs were still fairly cool. I haven't used anything else so nothing to compare it with.

For $149 the aluminium chill plate from Keg King is hard to beat. Perfectly chilled beers even from ~25 degree kegs in my experience. Not sure I'd be keen on running beer through copper lines over an extended period (not a metallurgist but have heard of complaints of metallic-tasting beer when served through old copper pipes).

Beersuit said:
It will cost a lot more but I would definitely recommend going with a plate chiller over messing around with coils. I have tried both and you just can't beat the way the chiller plate works.
Can confirm - I've used Anthony's jockey box a number of times and it works an absolute treat

Latest posts

Back