Building A Gravity Fed Frame

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
can anyone help me out

i'm building a full mash/lautering system with 2 kegs and a cooler and wish to build a gravity fed system so i don't need to get into pumps just yet.

i can't weld so i 'm thinking of using some sort of bolt together metal.

any suggestions on what to use, needs to to be heat proof for the burners of course. or suggestions on design.

also is there an easy way to cut the lids of kegs, i'm thinking of geting the local engineering place to helpout especially with fittings. I'm in brissy and if any brissy brewers want to get involved/have any suggestions i would be happy to make it avilable for a meeting when complete.

lou

my ag system is gravity but all welded so i guess that is not much help.check your local bunnings/mitre 10 for those bolt together shelving units as these may be of help.
top of keg cutting i just drilled heaps of holes around a pre marked circle then remove the rest with a disc grinder with cutting disc on.edges then ground smooth.

check this site as im sure there is some gravity systems that may feed your passion.

http://www.barleys.nl/index.htm?

cheers
big d

sorry guys
this site has changed somewhat since i last visited.
after opening click on homebrewing index.
this should get you in the right area

cheers
big d

The bolt together stuff is called Dexion or something like that and can often be found thrown out on street verges as it is pretty ugly stuff but would work for a brew system.

My set up is made completely out of dexion (40x60). Cost me $70 for 2nd hand materials.

4x 2m sections
4x 1m sections
12x 0.5m sections.

4x2m sections are uprights.
12x 0.5 m sections are your levels, bolt 3 together in a "U" shape and the 4th goes in half way of the U.Make 3 of these.
2x 1m sections are the feet at the bottom.
You wil find when you bolt the 3 levels in the "tower" will be solid one way(laterally with the feet),but sway slightly the other way(90o to feet). Take the other two 1m sections and bolt one end to the top of the tower and run it diagonally across the frame,bracing against the sway, and bolt the other end to the other side of the frame(ala / ). Place the other 1m section on the opposite side of the frame to the first and run it from the bottom of the tower,digonally opposite to the first 1m section(ala \).

Ill try and get a camera and take some pics for you

AND it AINT UGLY>>>>>ITS BREWDIFUL!!!!

Yeah i likie that Dexion stuff. You can chop and change with it. I've also seen a picy of Linz's setup and it looks good. Batz has the same material I beleive.
Thats what I will use I reckon. Easy to put together and pull apart.
What streets are they throwing out in GL? I wish someone in Melb threw some out and I came across it.

cheers

If you can't weld then build a timber frame like mine, see it in the gallery here:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/gall...Name=album03&s=

I just made the shelf for my burner by cutting up some galv U sections and bolting them together. I then made a wire shelf out of reo that slides in.

It was easy to build, cheap and works well. There are no issues with the frame heating up as it doesn't even get warm to the touch, so depending how you build it, setting fire to it i near impossible.

Cheers, Justin

Lou,
My suggetsion would be to build it as low as possible. There is nothing more unsettling than knowing you have near boiling water sitting above your head.
It is also a pain to have to climb a ladder/chair etc to add water (usually 30kg plus) to your HLT or check the temps.
You should be able to have both your HLT and mash tun at almost the same height HLT slightly higher) so long as it is a drop to your boiler. Just make sure your boiler is high enough so you can drop into your fermentor

I made mine from the slotted angle iron also.
It made it all too easy i brought 30metres worth which was 8 x 3.8 metre lengths.
They came all wrapped up together with enough nuts and bolts to do the lot.
It was like a kit for a frame basically all i had to do was measure the heights and cut everything to length.
It took me only a couple hours to put it all together and cost $98 brand new.
It was very big and tough angle iron i brought.
Anyway i think of it as a giant meccano set and even the most tool challanged person could built it from this stuff.
Photos will come one day.

Cheers Jayse

johnno said:
Yeah i likie that Dexion stuff. You can chop and change with it. I've also seen a picy of Linz's setup and it looks good. Batz has the same material I beleive.
Thats what I will use I reckon. Easy to put together and pull apart.
What streets are they throwing out in GL? I wish someone in Melb threw some out and I came across it.

cheers
Johnno

There's a place in Grange Rd, Alphington (the Darebin Rd end) that sells it second hand - about $10 for a 3m length IIRC. I'll get the details tonight & post tomorrow.

Darren, there should be no need for ladders even with a three tier. To fill your HLT there are a couple of options.

1. Attach your garden hose straight to you HLT tap (easy if using barbed fittings, therefore filling from the bottom up. No climbing.

2. Make a transfer/filling hose. I use a 1m piece of 1/2" copper shaped like a walking stick to hook up over the top of the HLT. To this I have a length of garden hose with a disconnect on it. Hang it over the top of your HLT and fill with joy. Drain the tank fully before lifting it down. Once again, no climbing.

I usually just mash in at ground level with a suitable length hose, adjust with a kettle of boiling water or cold water, then dough in and lift it back up to the second tier. My mash tun when full is not very heavy at all. Of course if mashing 10kg of grain, things are difference but for a 5kg batch it's fine. Plus you can always dough in in place.

Just some ideas.

Cheers, Justin

I fitted a float valve and fill my HLT with a hose from the tap.
If I want to brew with rainwater I have to bucket it in because I have no pump on the rainwater tank.

HLT_internals.JPG

Darren said:
It is also a pain to have to climb a ladder/chair etc to add water (usually 30kg plus) to your HLT or check the temps.

Just make sure your boiler is high enough so you can drop into your fermentor
Are you about the same height as GMK and Wee Stu??? ;)

And amen to the last bit, Its saves having to aerate the beegees out of it afterwards.

the hot water above my gravity system had me worried shitless first up but i trust my welding.i dont give it a second thought these days and a bit of ladder work is neither here or there.
mark two will probably incorporate a pump and a more level playing field but at the mo im enjoying the beers its producing.

cheers
big d

Back