Build A Dedicated Brew Area

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malted

Humdinger
Reaction score
We are putting in a new kitchen at home. The missus wanted me to throw out the old cabinets! Can you believe it?
I have reconfigured the old cabinets (moved sink closest to the door) in the shed.
Galley style dedicated brew area, heck yeah! Yes I have all the doors etc but just have not put them back on yet.

iele78.jpg

I will put a fitting onto the 1/2" pipe up to the cold tap so I can attach a garden hose to it and also a T piece/splitter so I can install an under bench water filter system for filtered brewing water. The sink drain will just run out the door and into the inspection hole on the roof gutter down pipe (to the left of the picture near the leaves). The shed will get a makeover with some subdivision walls (pictured in orange below), more cabinets (both floor and wall cabinets which I will make myself) and a doorway. I will put a splash back up from the sink. The only outside help or tradesman I will bring in is maybe a sparky to run a couple of new GPO's.
The shed measures 6m x 6m. There are four, independently switched, single overhead fluro lights in the shed, so each section of the shed is brightly lit.

28jb4sj.jpg

28b79c0.jpg

In the back left corner of the shed are some heavy duty shelves that I have constructed previously (you can sort of see them in the photo). I will keep that storage space as 3m x 3m but bring the brewing area down to 3m x 2.2m. This will give me a bit more room in the non-brewing/non-storage, work area of the shed. I had thought to have a wall and doorway between the storage area and the brew area but think I will keep it open for now. This way I only have to buy one door and a reduced amount of framing timber and plasterboard.

The door from the work area to the storage area will be a 70mm wall stud internal cavity door. This reduces the room needed to swing a door open. I will go with 70mm wall studs because it will be cheaper than 90mm wall studs. The front of the shed has big sliding doors that I can use to open up the brew area or the work area to the outside (one or the other, or only half of each).

I have a few tools that generate quite a bit of sawdust and I am sick of it getting it all over my brewing gear. I aim to make a brew area that I can keep relatively organised and clean. I will also aim to try to control some of the sawdust in the work area with the construction of a cyclone dust separator coupled with a dust extraction system.

As I subdivide the shed, I will take photos to show you that it is not very difficult to throw a few walls and cupboards into a shed to make it organised and clean.

It won't happen overnight as I have some other projects that are higher up in the list. I have just jumped the gun making this thread because I was excited by bunging the old kitchen cabinets into the shed.

This is my dream! Keeping my shit in one place with cupboards, dedicated area.............you my friend have achieved :super:

We are putting in a new kitchen at home. The missus wanted me to throw out the old cabinets! Can you believe it?
I have reconfigured the old cabinets (moved sink closest to the door) in the shed.
Galley style dedicated brew area, heck yeah! Yes I have all the doors etc but just have not put them back on yet.

iele78.jpg

I will put a fitting onto the 1/2" pipe up to the cold tap so I can attach a garden hose to it and also a T piece/splitter so I can install an under bench water filter system for filtered brewing water. The sink drain will just run out the door and into the inspection hole on the roof gutter down pipe (to the left of the picture near the leaves). The shed will get a makeover with some subdivision walls (pictured in orange below), more cabinets (both floor and wall cabinets which I will make myself) and a doorway. I will put a splash back up from the sink. The only outside help or tradesman I will bring in is maybe a sparky to run a couple of new GPO's.
The shed measures 6m x 6m. There are four, independently switched, single overhead fluro lights in the shed, so each section of the shed is brightly lit.

28jb4sj.jpg

28b79c0.jpg

In the back left corner of the shed are some heavy duty shelves that I have constructed previously (you can sort of see them in the photo). I will keep that storage space as 3m x 3m but bring the brewing area down to 3m x 2.2m. This will give me a bit more room in the non-brewing/non-storage, work area of the shed. I had thought to have a wall and doorway between the storage area and the brew area but think I will keep it open for now. This way I only have to buy one door and a reduced amount of framing timber and plasterboard.

The door from the work area to the storage area will be a 70mm wall stud internal cavity door. This reduces the room needed to swing a door open. I will go with 70mm wall studs because it will be cheaper than 90mm wall studs. The front of the shed has big sliding doors that I can use to open up the brew area or the work area to the outside (one or the other, or only half of each).

I have a few tools that generate quite a bit of sawdust and I am sick of it getting it all over my brewing gear. I aim to make a brew area that I can keep relatively organised and clean. I will also aim to try to control some of the sawdust in the work area with the construction of a cyclone dust separator coupled with a dust extraction system.

As I subdivide the shed, I will take photos to show you that it is not very difficult to throw a few walls and cupboards into a shed to make it organised and clean.

It won't happen overnight as I have some other projects that are higher up in the list. I have just jumped the gun making this thread because I was excited by bunging the old kitchen cabinets into the shed.

.................................Noice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tasall!!!!

Screwy

I will put a fitting onto the 1/2" pipe up to the cold tap so I can attach a garden hose to it and also a T piece/splitter so I can install an under bench water filter system for filtered brewing water.
Very nice setup there.!

However, I've found that water from a garden hose tastes different from that out of a tap, maybe it's that I've only ever tried it on hot sunny days or the hose was a cheap one, but make sure you use hose that does not taint the flavour of your beer. :)

Very nice setup there.!

However, I've found that water from a garden hose tastes different from that out of a tap, maybe it's that I've only ever tried it on hot sunny days or the hose was a cheap one, but make sure you use hose that does not taint the flavour of your beer. :)

Just make sure you get a drinking water grade hose, often used on caravans, and you will be fine. I got one from Bunnings sometime ago but haven't seen any there lately.

I have plans to do something similar - the only problem being that the kitchen I scored was temporarily setup as our kitchen inside the house and we haven't quite got around to installing a new one. No rush though, it's only been 2.5years with MDF bench tops :)

Looks awesome mate, cant wait to see the finished product.

I'm so jealous, not only are you quick witted and humorous but you have an awesome brew shed to play with. :p

What did you draw that up in? Sketchup or something similar? I do 3d work for a living and have begun tinkering with a model for arrangements..

This is my dream! Keeping my shit in one place with cupboards, dedicated area.............you my friend have achieved :super:
Don't be fooled mate, I put a couple of cabinets in and drew some pictures. No walls have been constructed yet!

I've found that water from a garden hose tastes different from that out of a tap, maybe it's that I've only ever tried it on hot sunny days or the hose was a cheap one, but make sure you use hose that does not taint the flavour of your beer. :)
Yes good point, I have had similar experiences drinking from a garden hose. Filters can take out some stuff but may as well head it off before it gets to the filters.

Just make sure you get a drinking water grade hose, often used on caravans, and you will be fine.
Good suggestion, caravan joints are a dime a dozen down here, should be easy to source some of that hose.

I'm so jealous, not only are you quick witted and humorous but you have an awesome brew shed to play with. :p
*Blush* It's not true.

What did you draw that up in? Sketchup or something similar? I do 3d work for a living and have begun tinkering with a model for arrangements..
Yes Sketchup. I really don't know how to use it properly. Don't look too hard or you'll see a lot of errors; I couldn't be arsed trying to get it perfect. I was half way through before I found how to get it to produce marks at exact measurements.
I had some ideas in my head but it wasn't until I actually put some stuff in the shed that I nailed down the measurements. For instance I thought 3m x 3m would be perfect but it works out that 3m x 2.2m is heaps. That extra 0.8m makes a big difference to the work area. Designing and reality, 2 different beasts.

Awesome setup, Malted! Damn I want a big shed.
I want a bigger one but I will make do with what I have. I am surprised that a dedicated brew area doesn't take up as much room as I thought it might.

I would lift the cupboards of the floor to keep them out of anything that might spill.

In a past life I was a qualified plumber. Been a while since I have done any plumbing, but from memory, sink waste water should not go in to a storm water drain. Sewage and stormwater don't generally run in the same pipe, as it overloads the waste treatment plants. On the same note, councils etc get a bit stroppy when the find grey water (sink waste) going into their storm water drains as the storm water doesn't always go through a treatment plant
Aside from that, it looks like a great project.
Cheers
LagerBomb

In a past life I was a qualified plumber. Been a while since I have done any plumbing, but from memory, sink waste water should not go in to a storm water drain. Sewage and stormwater don't generally run in the same pipe, as it overloads the waste treatment plants. On the same note, councils etc get a bit stroppy when the find grey water (sink waste) going into their storm water drains as the storm water doesn't always go through a treatment plant
Cheers
LagerBomb

I never knew that...I learnt something new today haha awesome

Love the idea, I've re-used my old kitchen benches and cupboards in the shed as well, just not as neatly or dedicated as this!

Also need to plumb in the old kitchen sink, which I have installed under the back patio. The good news (in my case) is that the plumbing for the bathroom is right behind where the sink is, so it's just time and a few $$ holding me back :)

Cheers
LagerBomb

That's correct, also one to watch for is to make sure your storm water doesn't come out in the gutter and flow down to a drain. Otherwise you'll have the dogooders reporting you, specially during water restrictions. :rolleyes:

Back