Bubbling Rate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyn

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,
I am on my second all grain brew using a Robobrew. My first was a Citra Pale Ale, which whilst in the fermenter bubbled along for about 6 days at a steady rate of about once every 10 - 15 seconds. I now have a Weizen style in the fermenter and in comparison this brew is bubbling continuously. It is currently at day 3 and has been like this since it started about 10 hours after yeast was pitched. My question is, do different yeasts ferment at different rates? Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers Big Ears!!

Hey fellow brewers,
I am on my second all grain brew using a Robobrew. My first was a Citra Pale Ale, which whilst in the fermenter bubbled along for about 6 days at a steady rate of about once every 10 - 15 seconds. I now have a Weizen style in the fermenter and in comparison this brew is bubbling continuously. It is currently at day 3 and has been like this since it started about 10 hours after yeast was pitched. My question is, do different yeasts ferment at different rates? Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers Big Ears!!

You really can't compare different strains/recipes etc. and 'bubbling' isn't a great indicator.

Keep an eye on your numbers. That's the most important thing.

Yeast strain and temperature are factors (although not the only ones) in the speed and vigour of fermentation however I would agree with largely ignoring the airlock. It just indicates gas is moving through it, obviously at the moment it's due to fermentation activity but it can occur for other reasons which confuse new brewers into thinking fermentation is still occurring when it fact it has stopped. Testing with a hydrometer is the best way to determine when it finishes fermenting.

Different yeasts do seem to have differing activity levels. Some go gangbusters in the first few days, others more slow and steady.
While seeing bubbling gives you a feelgood moment, as @Rocker1986 says it's a poor guide to whats happening.
Keep doing those hydrometer tests until it bottoms out.

Thanks guys, yes I understand the importance of the specific gravity readings in determining whether fermentation has ceased. Was just curious to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar. Perhaps I should just adopt a “set it and forget it” approach and then I wouldn’t notice these things. I guess that will come with experience. .....Prost !

Back