Bubbling For Over 2 Weeks, Am I Making An Atomic Bomb.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justa6

Reaction score
ha ha. so any thoughts on this. i put it down 2 sundays ago. been sitting on 18-22 degrees. it's just a aussie lager from the brew shop, with 1/2kg of dextrous. checked hydro over the weekend, was sitting on 1.009.

cheers marty

ha ha. so any thoughts on this. i put it down 2 sundays ago. been sitting on 18-22 degrees. it's just a aussie lager from the brew shop, with 1/2kg of dextrous. checked hydro over the weekend, was sitting on 1.009.

cheers marty

Its done mate, throw it in some bottles (or kegs if your that way inclined...)

FYI, an airlock is one of the worst pieces of gear for giving any indication of how the ferment is progressing.

It can still be bubbling when it's finished, and it can not bubble when there's plenty of stuff going on.

All that's happening in your case, is the fermenter is releasing built up co2 (by product of fermentation) and it's only gonna escape via the airlock. (if it escapes via the lid seal, then you probably won't see any bubbles....)

I no longer use a lid and airlock, and prefer to use gladwrap. Search if you want to know more about doing this, otherwise, get it in some bottles or kegs so you can drink it.

Have you checked hydro reading over three days. If steady over three days then it should be done

cheers nath. i'll go out and check hydro again now, if it's steady i'll bang it into some bottles tonight. i always thought, if it's bubbling it's still going. should go off hydro's more...

thanks again.

cheers nath. i'll go out and check hydro again now, if it's steady i'll bang it into some bottles tonight. i always thought, if it's bubbling it's still going. should go off hydro's more...

thanks again.
Spend a bit more time on here and doing some reading/research and you will find a plethora of information that will help you.If it's still bubbling , and its finished , it may just be CO2 being pushed out your airlock , from your newly fermented beer !
Yes !! Use you hydro all the time...take a starting gravity and an ending gravity !
Good luck !
Ferg

cheers marty

Once you've hit FG leave it for 3 days and check again, if hasn't dropped further then you're good to bottle. If it's dropped further then leave it a few more days and check again. I always make sure I have a consistent FG reading for at least 3 days straight just to be sure, better safe than sorry. I've never had a bottle bomb doing it this way.

checked hydro again, same 1009. bottled it last night. cheers guys, will do a bit more reading on here, it's a great forum.

checked hydro again, same 1009. bottled it last night. cheers guys, will do a bit more reading on here, it's a great forum.
I know racking into a glass carboy isn't that popular in Australia as it is in the states. It gives you the opportunity to see the fermentation going on. I have had beers finish at .998

Absolutely check gravity, but if it is still making bubbles, something is still alive. Chill the batch before bottling. It will limit the foam over if adding sugar (dex or dry malt extract) straight to the bottle.

but if it is still making bubbles, something is still alive.

Bubbles can just be the disolved CO2 comming out of the beer due to temperature changes, or even just due to atmospheric pressure changes (a pressure drop will result in a higher pressure inside than out - so gasses move out through the airlock to equalise.

Latest posts

Back