Bubbling For 3 Weeks.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Hey All,

My Brew has been bubbling now for 3 weeks straight :blink: The gravity is slowly dropping, but is this ferment time to excessive? I have racked the beer, so I'm not to worried about autolysis ( I think that's how you spell it). The brew details below.

1.7kg can off morgans wheat
2.5kg of dextrose
wyeast 3944

O.G. 1.061

Temp a constant 19C.

Any thoughts, ideas guys to what's happening!

3 weeks is a long time for a 1.061 beer.

With such a large proportion of sugar, the yeast may be lacking nutrients. Next time I'd add some yeast nutrient. Also, did you prepare a starter?

Then again, 3944 might just be a slow fermenter. I've never used it.

Stratis said:
3 weeks is a long time for a 1.061 beer.

With such a large proportion of sugar, the yeast may be lacking nutrients. Next time I'd add some yeast nutrient. Also, did you prepare a starter?

Then again, 3944 might just be a slow fermenter. I've never used it.
With the wort being 60% adjunct, I'd bet on tired yeast too. You can't live long on plain sugar.

Hmmmmm, looks like my yeasties are only chewing on sugar no nutrients <_< I think I'll have to keep an eye on the WORT to make sure that it isnt eating away at the dextrins.

Take 2-3 sachets bakers yeast, add to 1L water and 500g malt extract, boil for at least 30 mins, add to fermenter.

Yeast that has lysed (burst open) is just the best yeast nutrient there is

Jovial Monk

"Take 2-3 sachets bakers yeast, add to 1L water and 500g malt extract, boil for at least 30 mins, add to fermenter."

After cooling we assume??????

why cool? Adding 1L hot to 23L cold liquid, shouldn't raise the temperature much.

Anyway, yes of course you can cool. Important thing is to get some nutrients in the wort!

The big sachets of distillers yeast, meant to go into a wash of 8Kg sugar, 20L water, have the normal amount of yeast, 23g, the rest is all nutrients, DAP, ghost yeast hulls and the like. So is Fermaid K, just DAP, ghost yeast etc

Jovial Monk

Hey Jovial,

I took a S.G. reading last night and it was 1.008, almost finished :ph34r:

Thanks for the tip!

Good to hear!

Next batch try more malt and less sugar

Jovial Monk

Back