Bubbles In The Racking Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreic

Reaction score
Hi all,

4 brews ago I bought an additional ferementer so I can rack to secondary and also bulk prime. I have read a lot of advice on racking techniques etc but I've noticed that when I rack there seems to be a small, but fairly constant amount of bubbles in the racking tube near the tap. Is this likely to be air getting in somewhere near the tap and possibly oxidisng my beer? Or could this be C02 coming out of solution and just a normal part of the process?

My racking technique involves a 2m tube from the tap of the primary fermenter dropping into the secondary where it is coiled at the bottom. I just open the tap and away she goes. I am only brewing kits at this stage (trying to master one new technique at a time). My first beer using racking to secondary and bulk priming is now 8 weeks in the bottle. It was a brewcraft dutch lager and seems OK - I certainly can't taste any "wet cardboard" flavours so I don't know I have an oxidation problem.

Any suggestions? Don't worry? or get a new tap / racking tube?

cheers,

Andrei

It sounds to me like air is getting in through the seal around the tap. I wouldn't be hugely concerned unless it's a large amount.

Try pinching the hose around the tap to see if that stops the influx of bubbles.

Get your hose and pull it up so it kinks at the tap where the bubbles are being created, turn the tap on full then quickly release the kink.

It will make a world of difference, there will be a full hose of beer and you'll notice a big difference in the time it takes to empty your fermenter.

Gently lift the hose up near and above the tap, until all the air is gone, you will see it filling further and further up the tube.. Nothing to worry about, but it will slow down the racking...

Thanks for the tips. Will give these ago when I bulk prime next week.

cheers,

Andreoi

Latest posts

Back