Quantcast

Bubbles Have Stopped And No Krauzen Visable

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

towno

Reaction score
This is my first batch of beer so I am an absolute noob at this. Although I've read a lot of posts on this and other sites.

I am brewing "Wal's Pilsner" kit.

The stuff was bubbling for 3 days quite rapidly (bubbles every 10-15 sec or so) then nothing.

The other thing is that there is no layer of krauzen at the top which I seem to see in some photos.

Should I start again or can I recover, or should I not be so impatient and just wait.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
If it has only been 3 days, just wait.

Maybe to be safe, check the graivty, then check it in 2 days time. if it is the same then your finished.

How hot did you have the wort at?

towno

Reaction score
I'm an impatient fool. I've already started again. Bought some new stuff and this time I'm going to wait a bit longer before freakin out.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
So you dumped it already?

ARGH!!!!!!

Don't waste good beer :(

Plastic Man

Reaction score
Towno

You got a hydrometer ??

Let that be your judge.

A 3 day ferment is nothing out of the ordinary. Also - the airlock aint the best guide as to what is happening. You may not have a perfect seal - which aint an issue.

But - take a reading at the start and one when you think it has stopped. That will give you a pretty good idea as to what is going on.

Ta - Richard.

PS - if you aint got a hydrometer you can buy one at Big W for about $10. John Palmers "How To Brew" book - free on the web - has a good chapter on using one. Good luck and good brewing!!

Bionic

Reaction score
Doesn't the pilsner come with a Lager YEast?? So after a day or so the yeast will settle down and slowly ferment on the bottom

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Reaction score
I think the wal pilsner kit comes with a lager yeast, but towno probably ran it at room temp and the beer finished fermenting in 3 days.

Towno, don't be so hasty to chuck it out next time, your beer would have been fine.

The hydrometer is your friend.

towno

Reaction score
I have a new kit bubbling away at the moment. I've read just about every post on this forum and I think I've got it under control now. I've taken the OG and I'm going to use it again. I thought I was going to have some issues getting empty longnecks but 1 weekend and two BBQ's later I've already got 30. So many people willing to help the cause.

Latest posts