Bu:gu And Balance Value

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you pick a style hover over the balance value and brewmate will report the mid level bal value for that style.

When you pick a style hover over the balance value and brewmate will report the mid level bal value for that style.

That's just cool. Thanks, i'll use that all the time for abv and bitterness and all. Never knew that was there B)

That's just cool. Thanks, i'll use that all the time for abv and bitterness and all. Never knew that was there B)

Me neither!
Thankyou..I have been curious about this for a while.

Tick another thing off the "research list" for the time being

Thankya

Hi Guys,

I have Brewmate V 1.22 and I have noted what has been said above.

I just entered a style "Australian Pale Ale" and get a BV of 2.25 ?????

Then I enter an "Australian Lager" and get a BV of 0.93

I would imagine that to get a BV of 2.25 on an Aussie Pale Ale the hops would be climbing out of the glass and would not be to style in fact I would imagine it to be undrinkable.

For example in support of the above the program lists a value of 1.61 for an APA and 1.74 for a German Pils.

Is this figure an error in the software?????? or am I wrong ????

Cheers

I would think the software was way out.

Anything approaching 1:1 would be too bitter for the majority of styles.

IPA being the exception of course.

Balanced would be around .5 for most styles, with less being more malty, more being bitterer.

Cheers

sounds to me like many are getting confused with the "balance value" and the "bu:gu" levels. Displayed as two very separate things in Brewmate.

A beer with a BU:GU Ratio of .9 for example would be considered quite hoppy, but a "Balance Value" of .9 would be VERY malt driven, and probably not have any where near enough hops.

An example: I have a 100% cube hopped Cascade recipe open in Brewmate at the moment, and the BU:GU ratio is .9, but the "Balance Value" is 2. something.

I guess they might b inverses so if bu.gu is0.66 then balance would be 1.51. Just a guess as i dont have the program in front me.

Edit. Not quite, bv also account for fg, see link below.
balance value calc

sounds to me like many are getting confused with the "balance value" and the "bu:gu" levels. Displayed as two very separate things in Brewmate.

A beer with a BU:GU Ratio of .9 for example would be considered quite hoppy, but a "Balance Value" of .9 would be VERY malt driven, and probably not have any where near enough hops.

An example: I have a 100% cube hopped Cascade recipe open in Brewmate at the moment, and the BU:GU ratio is .9, but the "Balance Value" is 2. something.

The BV value is indicated in Brewmate by hovering the cursor over that panel.
If you open Brewmate with a new window to create a new recipe then click the drop down menu and select Australian Pale Ale and then place your cursor over the BV panel you will note it gives you the figure.
This value is an average indicator directly related to the style.
You don't need any ingredients entered to obtain this figure.
The BV value on your recipe is what you pesonally achieved with the formulation of your own recipe.
It is obviously hoppy enough to give this BV reading.
I don't think we are confusing BU:GU withBV.

Cheers

I would think the software was way out.

Anything approaching 1:1 would be too bitter for the majority of styles.

IPA being the exception of course.

Balanced would be around .5 for most styles, with less being more malty, more being bitterer.

Cheers

I dont think the software is way out but I am querying the BV for an Australian Pale Ale.
Without checking each and every style the figures appear to be generally close to spec.

I have emailed the program writer with this query and i will post here when I get a reply.

Cheers

I guess they might b inverses so if bu.gu is0.66 then balance would be 1.51. Just a guess as i dont have the program in front me.

balance value calc

Thats a great link, very easy to read and use,
Thanks

My software (BeerAlchemy) only has BU:GU

Cheers

balance value calc

Began using the Balance Value Formula years ago for my brewing, best thing ever. This formula uses predicted Sweetness (FG) to formulate the bitterness (IBU"s) required for balance for the style.

The brewer needs to be able to accurately predict FG based upon the amount of dextrinous malt in the gristbill and mash temp. A brew system which is able to produce repeatable results is necessary along with experience using different yeast strains and fermentation management.

Created my own Calculator years ago (like the link above) in Access containing BJCP style data.

Screwy

Well thank you to screwtop, NickB and others.
After a few years of looking through the gurus recipes, Jamils recipes included, the BU : GU value has been mostly ignored.Its all been about OG , FG, grain bill, temps and yeast ect.
Why dont they specify the balance? Surely its just as important factor as anything else.
It seems alot is assumed if you use their grain bill and hop schedual you will end up as a USA national award winning brewer.
Even BJCP dont consider or publish BU:GU in their detail.

I think its an important componant to recipe formulation and overlooked as a valuable componant to any style.

Yes , I am a go by the numbers brewer. Screwy had me pegged as an engineer years ago, but for me thats how you know whats goin on, for better or worse. Artist I aint.
Give us a BU:GU on every beer I say.Valuable info surely.
Daz

+1 Daz.

I always look at the BU:GU especially on styles I'm not familiar with.

Makes it much easier to get the bitterness/maltiness in the ball park of where you're aiming.

Cheers

+1 Daz.

I always look at the BU:GU especially on styles I'm not familiar with.

Makes it much easier to get the bitterness/maltiness in the ball park of where you're aiming.

Cheers

And eee no's e's stuff!

Screwy

Well thank you to screwtop, NickB and others.
After a few years of looking through the gurus recipes, Jamils recipes included, the BU : GU value has been mostly ignored.Its all been about OG , FG, grain bill, temps and yeast ect.
Why dont they specify the balance? Surely its just as important factor as anything else.
It seems alot is assumed if you use their grain bill and hop schedual you will end up as a USA national award winning brewer.
Even BJCP dont consider or publish BU:GU in their detail.

I think its an important componant to recipe formulation and overlooked as a valuable componant to any style.

Yes , I am a go by the numbers brewer. Screwy had me pegged as an engineer years ago, but for me thats how you know whats goin on, for better or worse. Artist I aint.
Give us a BU:GU on every beer I say.Valuable info surely.
Daz

Funny, I'm the opposite. Numbers can't tell you what your palate and experience can, any more than they can in cooking. They can give you an indication of preferred levels, a reference point etc but there's no substitute, in my mind for learning about your ingredients and how to balance them or make them work together.

That said, I still believe in grasping the concept, applying the principles and knowing the background. Use of formulae themselves is up to the brewer.

By the calculator's standards, most of my lagers are hoppier than an IPA. Hmm

IMO, BU:GU is a rough guide at best, and a complete waste of time at worst. As an example (2 SMaSH brews):

Batch 1: Mashed at 70C and bittered to 25 IBUs

Batch 2: Mashed at 62C and bittered to 25 IBUs

Both have the same BU:GU figures but one will be malty and thick and sweet, and one will be dry and bitter and thin.

BU:GU is crap unless it compensates for FG (mash temp and attenuation).

Back